Scallop Shell

Leo Voisine

My friend brought this to me today. This is a Scallop Shell done by a chain saw artist that he buys a lot of his nautical stuff from. My friend resells at craft fairs and commission shops. My friend wants to make these on his own CNC machine.

So I stepped up to the challenge. I borrowed his Scallop shell and created my rendition of the shell in Aspire. The more I do this the easier it gets. This one took about 1-3 hours. I didn't really keep track of the time. I estimate it was more like 1.5 to 2 hours. I am pretty happy with this.

The chain saw artist is REALLY REALLY good at what he does, and REALLY REALLY hard to beat, but I am learning from his stuff. I will never beat him. After chain saw he sands then burns the wood. Then he wire brushes, distresses and lastly paints. He does such a good job it is an inspiration to learn from him.

Soooo HIS work

IMG_9542 thumb.jpg

And my 3D model. Once I make it I will post it.

Shell toolpath preview.jpg

This is my rendition of the scallop shell. This is straight off the machine from the model I created. I have not done any sanding at all. Tomorrow I will sand it a little. I am thinking I may sand blast this one. I have never sand blasted anything before. Something new to learn.

Hey - at least it's WOOD. I used a 2x10 from Lowes.

Attachments

• IMG_9543.JPG
    IMG_9543.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 28
OK, Sandblasted. Messy is an understatement. I used a cardboard box as a semi enclosure and I did it outside. Definately NEEDED the glasses so I had to take off my prescription glasses making it very difficult to see. Need to work on that. I may go out and buy a HF enclosure sand blaster. Anybody got a discount?

Soo I am pretty happy with it for a first time.

Attachments

• IMG_9545.JPG
    IMG_9545.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 20
Don, I used a 1/4 ball end mill for roughing and finishing. I used a 1/4 end mill to cut out. Feed at 250 IPM, RPM at 16000. Took 53 minutes. I could have run at 350 of 500 to save time. I also could have changed stepover from .020 to .030 or more to save time. I could also change the roughing from DOC of .1, to .2 or .3 to save time. I also could change the roughing stepover from 75% to 90% to save time. Lots of room to change things. The thing with feedrate is acel and decel. You never get to max feedrate anyway. Even with that said, I am sure I could cut the time to 1/2 hour or less without trying too hard.

With things like this I like to start slow and tweak it up.

If I make these to sell, I will definitely make it go a lot faster and make a dozen or so at a time.

Bill, Thank you, I am happy with it.