Scuttlebutt Coffee Company Build

Yeah - that machine serves many purposes. Work surface, painting table, sanding table, outfeed table. I even mount a vice on it from time to time. At first I thought that being right in the middle of my shop that is would be in the way but - no - it is in fact a great location.

One thing though is the table needs some serious reinforcement. Now that I can weld I have plans to upgrade the table. While it is good, it is not as good as I want. A bit overkill maybe but I am used to industrial machines. The spindle is also going to get reinforced.

Ohhh yeah baby. And I hid the alignment holes under the rings, they will not be visible. The inside frame is not visible. Also I screwed up a bit, not perfect ya no. So the depths of the pockets that will be varying, because I used two different thickness's of PVC when I made the PVC inserts. One ring is thinner than the others are all mixed in the letters and text and the doves. I gotta recon wid dat. Each pocket will need to be a different depth according to insert. That way the amount proud of the face all the same. Nobody will care, because there is not a reason to disassemble, so noone will ever know.

Here is the next update.

After the epoxy is all cured I sanded it all and filled in the cracks and holes with Magic Sculpt. This is a 2 part epoxy putty, that hardens really hard. It's a little like a water based bondo that doesn't set so fast and is easier to sand. I also cleaned out the alignment holes.

I coated with 2 coats of Jay Cooks sign primer both sides. This is a much thicker primer than hardware store primer like BIN 123 primer.

IMG_8704.JPG

I spent a fair amount of time listening to the radio, watching people walk by and cars and motorcycles go by - while having a nice cup of Green Mountain Dark Magic coffee.

IMG_8706.JPG

I painted both sides with Ben Moore Exterior Aura Miami Green. That is the customers color choice. I like it too.

IMG_8707.JPG

Next I need to paint the letters, and rings with Satin White, make the pockets that all that stuff will fit into and epoxy it all together.

Magic Sculpt

Looks like this (probably not the best price haha): https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Sculpt-Epoxy-Clay-White/dp/B003AL7FCC

How would you compare that to sat Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty as far as usability and workability? Durham's has been kind of my go-to for interior painted projects (moisture resistance is .. ok.. but not 100% so might not be the best choice in this usage anyway) but having alternatives is nice :)

Do you sand back the primer or does it have enough flow out to self flatten if the substrate is properly done? I've had some problems with the HW store primers not laying as flat as I'd like but I'd also bet that's 80% technique.

We should get you setup with a coffee roasting system ... (https://www.sweetmarias.com/) :D :D

I used a roller on this sign. When I went to the sign camp in 2013 the pro's that were instructing were all about using a brush and "stippling". That leaves a texture, such that the layout and brush strokes is not an issue. Stippling is near to a roller, but more textured. I will continue to stipple of a lot of stuff, but I am starting to like a foam roller on flat areas like this sign. I do not sand the primer, but it can be sanded. With several more coats it would bake a REALLY smooth sanded base. Then, I would spray paint to get a beautiful finish. This sign does not need that. I do have Durhams in my materials collection.

The Ben Moore Aura dries REALLY REALLY fast, so there is not a lot of time to get the rolled out texture nice and even. If you drip or drag a line of paint it MUST be dealt with immediately, or it will show.

You got it on the Magic Sculpt. Price is not that bad. Compared to Durhams? That is not apples to apples. I would not use Magic Sculpt the same as Durhams. Magic sculpt is something like clay that can be sculpted into an object. I usually make something with and left over. This time I made a little AX. One time I made a little man ti sit on my window. I use it as a filler on signs, just because I have it and I like it. I would use Durhams to fill in cracks under a floor, but not Magic Sculpt. Also, these signs are exterior only.