Second knife....a pig sticker

Mike Stafford

I don't have any idea what to call this knife. My Uncle John had a knife somewhat similarly shaped that he used when we killed hogs to bleed them. He called it a "pig sticker".

I sketched it out and then made what I had drawn. I had some trouble with the bevel near the hilt as is obvious in the picture. Overall I think I am getting better grinding the bevels.

Here is my second knife from a saw blade; about 9 inches long and handled with some bubinga I dug out of my scrap wood buckets. It is really sharp as I found out in a careless moment. I didn't need stitches but I did use a few band aids.

IMG_7235 mod.jpg

That looks sweet, Mike! Are you planning to make a sheath for it too?
Yep, there is a guy whose YouTube channel is called the Art of Craftsmanship. He has been a go to for me and he has an excellent video on how to make sheaths. I doubt I will make a sheath for all my knives because many of them are kitchen knives but I will make some. I have to buy some supplies for making sheaths out of some cowhide that I have. Bought a whole bunch of cowhide for nearly nothing a number of years back and finally found a use for it.

Last edited: