Seeking recommendations for precision straight edge

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I made a couple of extra dollars on that bedroom suite so I thought I would treat myself to something I have been wanting/needing for a long time - a precision straight edge. Simply put, I can't afford a $300 + Starrett and Lee Valley is sold out of their longer version (I'm thinking a minimum of 36" with a preference for 48". I REALLY want to fine tune my jointer beds.

Any suggestions?

iguaging has a 36"

Agree that most levels are well within the precision requirements...

I kind of wonder if the glass cuttting ones are precise enough to be useful
I have one shorter one of those I picked up from a yard sale but it was poorly treated and stored.. so I can't really use it as a reference point (it is curved in the "not the side you need to be straight" direction), I don't know if that was from storage or if the expectation was to push it flat for cutting.. I kind of suspect the latter.. in which case it wouldn't be useful.

Woodpeckers, maybe? Still expensive. Consider using a 4 foot level? Probably straight enough for what you want.

Yep, woodpeckers is pretty proud of their stuff! Also, nothing in straight edges is shipping prior to September.

+ 1 on using a 4 foot level.

I hav both a 48 and a 72 level. Both have seen many hours use in construction and landscaping. I would trust neither to be close to accurate.

iguaging has a 36"

Agree that most levels are well within the precision requirements...

I kind of wonder if the glass cuttting ones are precise enough to be useful
I have one shorter one of those I picked up from a yard sale but it was poorly treated and stored.. so I can't really use it as a reference point (it is curved in the "not the side you need to be straight" direction), I don't know if that was from storage or if the expectation was to push it flat for cutting.. I kind of suspect the latter.. in which case it wouldn't be useful.

iGuaging has the 24" and 36" combo on sale right now for $89. That seem a good deal and accuracy is claimed to be within .001" per foot. This interests me....

If you already have a good level and that is good enough for what you want to do, you're already done ;-). If it works for you, it works. I'm sorry LV is out of the 36" steel versions as that is my go-to for most machine work. I also have to look to see when I bought mine because it was not $100 . . . Oh, OK it was a dozen years ago or so; we're talkin' pre-TARP even :)

Longer would be nice but, a longer one would be too long for much of what I use one for (machine checks and setup) . I also strongly recommend the LV long feeler gauges. They have been great although probably not necessary if you are going to use a builder's level as your straight edge; what's a 32nd of an inch over 6 feet between friends :D

This is one of those tools that will get used in bursts and lay idle for much of the time. I am perfectly comfortable with the years of non-use that some things receive compared to the years of reliable service I have gotten from my machines after a careful setup with good setup tools. I also have a few other items that only come out on rare occasions. I am just as glad to have those as I am a good straight edge ;)

If. I am just as glad to have those as I am a good straight edge ;)
When I wrote this post it immediately came to mind that you would contribute and own at least one good straight edge. You never disappoint. 😁

I agree that long might get in the way sometimes I was thinking if I can afford only one it should be the longer. Now, with iguaging having a sale on the combo 24 & 36 that is a moot point.