Shellac Webinar for Fine Woodworking Online Members

well, call me nobody! i have used only foam brushes with shellac, and never had a problem. same for spraying, only problem i have ever had with spraying, is that the one side would be ok, but the other would out gas, and i would have a billion little bubbles forming. figured out how to fix that too. after watching 3/4 of the webinar (and trying to keep from falling asleep), the ratio of jibber-jabber/usable information was way too high. i may not be the world's gift to finishing, but i could sure as all get out finish those stool legs, with a foam brush at that, and not have any runs.

LOL. I forgot Tom's slow delivery is painful for you. I have to agree I could do with a little more prep and a little less wandering.
I will likely catch some flak for this, but...

It seems as though woodworking shows are showing less and less how to and more chat and mindless banter. The exceptions are Roy Underhill, Woodsmith, and Norm Abrams. Tommy Mac was in between and Scott Phillips is slipping just a bit. The newest shows that say they are about woodworking are either Oprah without the couch (Ben’s Workshop) or just decorating with wood ( Clint Harp). As I rewatch some of the Norm Abrams shows I am stunned by how much he was able to pack into 22 minuets of air time. There is a reason he ran for 21 years and others should take note.

There is a decided lack of content to these newer shows and it is obvious they are not playing to the woodworker, rather to ‘Monday morning decorators’. I see so many unsafe practices it is frightening because I know some viewer is going to attempt to emulate these ‘hosts’ and are likely to hurt themselves.

There are a number of woodworking YouTube channels that are good and have useful content, probably many more than I have time for. Our own Art Muldar is fun to watch as are Stumpy Nubs and Wood whisperer. Good content, mostly, and minimal filler.

Ok. Grumpy old man rant is over. 😁

Last edited:
Completely agree Rennie, there is just something missing anymore. Most of these guys are trying to name drop sponsors more than show useful content. I follow Bill Rainford on Instagram and it's terrible, have actually dropped him here as of late. The post would be something like, "worked in the cold shop today wearing my XYZ123 bibs". I don't need that, show me the process, all I ask.

I will likely catch some flak for this, but...
I see a lot of the same thing from the guitar and guitar gear YouTubers. One guy I follow (Leon Todd) does a series called 5-minute tones, and he can cover as much info in 5 or 6 minutes as a lot of the others do in 30-40 minutes. There are a couple of the more Oprah-style guys who I do enjoy, but it's because they are often sharing interesting stories about working with various artists or producers. Like my buddy Tim Pierce who was hired just to play the mandolin part on a Goo Goo Dolls song (Iris) but decided to bring his full guitar rig and ended up adding background guitar parts that became the basis for the orchestral parts of the song. He also played the slide guitar part, which became one of the most iconic guitar solos of the '90s. The song ended up at #1 on the charts for 18 weeks.

I watched the linked Izzy videos and then another. I like his style of presentation. Not a lot of beating around the bush, and he doesn't take himself too seriously.