shop camera question ?

Don Baer

Staff member
I am comfortable with letting my CNC run in the shop non airconditioned and going back to my office which is air conditioned and working on other projects. I am in the habit of getting up every 10 or 15 minutes and going out to check on it. I would like to add a camera to my home network so I could do a better job of monitoring the machine. Also I plan on adding a 3 D printer and a Laser engraver so I may need to add a few more cameras. I have a home WIFI with 2.4 gig ang 5 gig wifi. The CNC is running on the 2.4 part of the network so I would like the camera to run on the 5 gig side so as not to overload the band width. Looking for suggestion for low cost indoor cameras any suggestions ?

I've used several Logitech C270 and C310 cameras over the years. I have one on my 3D printer that i can monitor via Octoprint. I've run the others directly via USB connection to my PC.

Look for ones that are at least 5mp and support rstp protocol. I've got several of the JTide ones on Amazon, all have worked well.

A few years back I had a wifi connected one that really beat up the CPU on my router, switched it to ethernet and CPU dropped to about 2%...YMMV

Following this one. The big old Onsrud in the big boy shop has no monitoring system, but there seems plenty of room within the dust brush enclosure to mount a wireless cam and battery operated LED that would show the area where the bit was working without getting down on your knees and pulling an Arte Johnson with the brushes.

Check out the Wyze cameras and see if they suit your requirements. I think their basic fixed-lens, WiFi camera runs about $20. I've got one of their pannable cameras set up under my eaves as a cheap monitor on our bird bath. Works fine, but the resolution isn't the greatest.

Oh, and it supports sound transfer as well, so you can have the monitor app running nearby and just listen for when things stop running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk