Shop comfort

I think the one foot square units are swamp cooler type, not good if you have any humidity. Likely they are as good as putting magnets on your fuel line and getting 50 mpg was advertised years back.
Most (if not all) of the small window units I've seen and owned are refrigerated air, not swampers.

Being comfy at the shop helps to enjoy more what you do and things tend to come out better. Congrats for your retirement, now you’ll have plenty more time to do what you want. A friend of mine who retired a year ago told me: ”the best thing about retiring is that you are the owner of your time and you spend it as you please...”

Being comfy at the shop helps to enjoy more what you do and things tend to come out better. Congrats for your retirement, now you’ll have plenty more time to do what you want. A friend of mine who retired a year ago told me: ”the best thing about retiring is that you are the owner of your time and you spend it as you please...”
That pretty much sums it up. I'll have to remember that one.

I have been thinking about adding one next summer too. I have been concerned about dust getting into in and effecting the efficiency. Have you experienced that. Just to add, I do have dust collection on every tool, but dust happens.

My shop has been heated and cooled with a window style heat pump mounted high and through the North wall of my shop for the last 15 years. Early on I realized that the finer sawdust in the air was building up in the coil fins, so I cleaned it with coil cleaner, water, and compressed air. Then I began looking for a better filter than the cheap foam one that came with it. After some looking and trying, I came up with a 12 X 20 X 1" pleated furnace filter, and it fit between the plastic front face and the coil of the heat pump. I've been using these ever since, with no further need to clean the coils. I buy the better quality paper type filters with heavy pleating and each lasts me about a year, if I take it outside and blow it out a few times over the course of the year. Since there is no real good way to attach the filter, I just turn the unit on with the cover removed, and then place the filter over the coil. The fan suction holds it in place until I get the cover installed. The cover to filter gap under the cover is very close, so the filter never moves after the cover is in place.

Jay Bates, a woodworker of Youtube fame put a ductless unit in his new shop, and then made a large box on the wall that is attached to the intake of the ductless unit. The box holds several 20 X 20 pleated furnace filters. One might consider doing the same or similar for any window style or ductless system to prevent fine sawdust build-up in their system. My unit doubles as my shop air filtration system too.

Charley