Shop - Router Organization

Bill Arnold

Staff member
This is another of those organization efforts that has been bubbling up for years. I finally dove into it in recent weeks and got it (mostly) completed.

I had a small cabinet that was part of my old Jet table saw setup. It sat under the end of the extension table where a router and lift mounted. That made it real convenient until I moved and arranged my shop in a totally different way. For several years, the little cabinet was still serviceable, but got in the way at times. After I installed a new work bench, I decided to change my router bit storage to a set of drawers under the new bench and adjacent to my router table. Not wanting to be wasteful, I used the major parts of the old knock-down cabinet (Melamin) to make the case for the new set of drawers. I used 1/2" plywood for the drawer boxes and fronts.

So, here's how it worked out:

Old drawers that served me well, until I kept adding to the collection of bits!
RtrDwr_Old.jpg

New drawers will help a lot! Oh, and they'll also give me room to add to the collection!!! The drawer bottoms are 3/4" MDF. I setup my CNC to mill 9/16" holes for the 1/2" bits and 5/16" holes for the 1/4" bits. I glued a piece of 1/8" hardboard to the bottom of each bit panel.
RtrDwr_OA3.jpg RtrDwr_1-2inch.jpg RtrDwr_1-4inch.jpg

For my slot cutter and rabbeting bit sets, I printed some simple holders that fit into the half inch holes in the drawer bottom.
RtrDwr_Stack.jpg RtrDwr_Stack2.jpg

Here's an overall shot of my router table and new bit storage.
RtrDwr_OA2.jpg

Looks good Bill. (y) That should keep things organized. I recently did a little sorting and put my bearing guided bits in one drawer and the non-bearing in another. Helps me find things quicker.

Cool idea on the rabbet bearing and slot cutter stacker-thingys. I always feel like I've done some good when I setup a specific place for something. It can be as simple as sorting out the stubby pencil nubs from the usable pencils to a full blown machine stand; those and everywhere in between makes me feel I've accomplished something.