short rant

larry merlau

is it just me or do you folks see a lot of folks acting like this is nonexistent? just heard that friend of mine headed for Florida Friday am for a month or so.. and people were walking by the house today like it was a national holiday and wernt 6 ft apart.. there have been many taking this as just a paid vacation if they are displaced from there jobs. jeeps running the trails and boats going by.. launches full from what i have been told.. am i that dumb to not take this as real????

same here, people are stupid, panicky animals at best (ie; the run on toilet paper). there are some, like the millenials, who aren't taking it seriously enough, and think that they are indestructible. then there are those, like where i work, that are going off the deep end of panic. without any evidence of such, we are now banned from entering the server/mainframe hardware room (the holy of holies), and those who can go in, must have a mask and gloves, to enter to do any work in there. the mask and gloves are needed to prevent the very outside (almost non-existent) chance of the virus contaminating the machines (not too worried about us mind you). i sent our supervisor an email, that we would rather anyone going into the h of h's be masked out in the hallway, rather than where we work. he went along with this, to keep our work surfaces safe (once again, missing the point about protecting us). now we have a guard stationed outside the door of our area, 24/7, with a small table, and a chair, with gloves, masks, and clorox wipes. for the first two weeks of this, we have 5 cases, of 5 boxes each, of 100 pair per box of gloves, but not one mask. we finally got some masks in last week. all the guard does, is sit there and wait for anyone to show up, and try to stay awake. funny thing is, is that last person to work in there, was around 8 months ago. also, to keep things interesting, they told us if we enter the h of h's, we will be terminated. though i take this thing seriously enough, and will take the needed precautions, i will not give in to stupidity (buying 2 years worth of toilet paper), or panic (5 people died in our state, with 441 cases, with a population of 5.7 million. that's .008% of the population, we're all gonna die!!!!). so, to the happiness of some, and irritation of others, i am going to maintain my sense of calm, and maintain an even strain about this. now if this were ebola, i might be persuaded to be a bit more concerned.

My daughter lives in Colorado and she told us that last week a friend of hers was at the grocery shopping and someone brought a pallet of toilet paper out and sat it down right where she was standing, so she proceeded to take a package . as she was walking through the store this guy approached her and told her "Hey I will give you ten dollars for that package of toilet paper" Lori said that her friend just looked at him and laughed. Just goes to show you how stupid people really are. I guess I don't get it.

Last edited:
Well my plant is still running. They push the 6ft rule but don't enforce. They are mandated by Kentucky governor to check us every shift change, anyone coming in must be screened. A few questions, that can be lied about and a temp check. Well this morning, wow, they forgot to do any of the screen process. They just keep proving it's about profit, not people. Being on the company safety committee, I have access to a few things. Plant manger about crapped himself when I woke him up this morning. Problem solved for one day, lets see what tomorrow brings

I had to venture out for supplies today and was pleased with the way my local Lowe's was handling things. They were doing their best to ensure social distancing, with lines on the floor for people to stand behind while waiting in line, and they had sneeze guards on front of the registers protecting their cashiers, who wiped the counter and card reader down with disinfectant after every customer. They also were wearing gloves. There was also a guy cleaning carts for each customer who entered and wiping down the door handles. They were swamped again today...the busiest ever I was told. I left just before the fist fight between two customers that started in the store over the delay caused by a customer questioning the price on an item. The fight spilled out into the parking lot and eventually four police cars convinced the two guys to chill... tasers were deployed!:eek: Word of advise to older guys, that dynamite right hand you had when you were a young stud does not work quite as well as it used to. Think twice before provoking fisticuffs. :doh:

Lots of folks out here at the stores when I've needed to run. I've got a small bottle of sanitizer and some wipes in the truck to use when I return. Most folks have been abiding by the 6' rule in the checkout lines and just in passing. I picked up a new plinker that I had ordered about a month ago that finally showed up. The gun shop has someone at the door taking your name/number and calls you when it's your turn to come in. They weren't allowing folks to just sit outside, you had to wait in your car. It was an hour wait, but I thought they handled it really well, even opened the doors for you so you didn't have to touch them. I was able to run a few errands to kill some time, but while sitting there, about every 5 people that went in were coming out with boxes and boxes of ammo.

I've been spraying down most of the packages we get with lysol as soon I bring them in, then washing hands after messing with anything we got, some of it gets sprayed down too. I'm hoping some of this stuff is working. we had 8 cases on Monday and still only have 8 cases showing. :dunno:

We are also doing what we’re supposed to at my house. The folks that aren’t are why we’re where we are today. We shoulda, woulda, coulda done better. We’ve had practice.

I have to admit I haven't been out much, but what I've seen on the news has been somewhat what you described. It does peev me that some aren't taking this more seriously. We have a fairly large church south of us that is still holding in person services (Ohio hasn't stopped church gathering yet) and they have been pretty much lambasted on the news (to no avail).

I went in to the grocery store Friday it was less busy than normal. Traffic appeared about the same and the interstate traffic looked the same. Usually have breakfast on Sunday morning with son, DIL, and grand kids. We've decided to forgo it for the time being since my grandson works at a pizza joint and DIL is a nurse at the soldiers home. Saw a demographic for Indiana yesterday 58% of people who are infected are over 50 years old. I am in that group & I don't want to chance dealing with an infection. I really don't get peoples attitudes towards this thing, it really isn't about the percentages of a particular individual contracting the virus it is that a small percentage can overwhelm the medical facilities in an area which in turn will infect more people. I don't get this me, me, me attitude, yes it is about me but more importantly it is about the community. We all need to be around to play another day.

Hunkered down to prevent exposure. Couldn't handle the bug at my age. Had a load of gravel for driveway delivered Thursday and in talking to driver (8 ft away) , he said he wasn't worried about the whole thing. If he gets it oh well but don't figure I'll get it. Business as usual. Some people are just not taking it as a serious threat. We will be our own demise.
Wonder if hospitals are preparing for nine month birth jump?

David

with 443 cases (.008%), and 5 dead (.00008%), out of a population of 5.7 million, the newsies, and gov't. officials make it sound like it is running rampant here in minnesota, and "we gotta flatten that curve!!". next thing you know, we will have a shortage of sanitizing sheets, because everyone is wiping down everything but each other. we were the last generation the really had to be worried about polio, if there were measles, mumps, chicken pox going around, we got it, and got over it, without that panic that is going on now. the last couple of generations have been living in such ultra-sanitized bubbles, not being allowed to play outside like we did, and horror of horrors, that they should be playing in the dirt. to the last couple of generations, its a wonder, because we lived in such unsterilized times, that we managed to survive at all.

I'm not going to panic over this, but I am taking all necessary precautions... I don't have any underlying conditions that would put me in real danger, but I am at the high end of my 70's... biggest danger in this household is my wife, who does have underlying conditions... diabetic, A-Fib (although she has a pace maker) and she's had a septic infection ravage her system twice although it was a few years ago... can't have her infected.
We live out in the country and no close neighbors, so just hanging loose at the house.

is it just me or do you folks see a lot of folks acting like this is nonexistent? just heard that friend of mine headed for Florida Friday am for a month or so.. and people were walking by the house today like it was a national holiday and wernt 6 ft apart.. there have been many taking this as just a paid vacation if they are displaced from there jobs. jeeps running the trails and boats going by.. launches full from what i have been told.. am i that dumb to not take this as real????

This is EXACTLY why the rate of infection is growing at an exponential rate. It is American Arrogance and Ignorance.

Wear a face Mask - Wash hands - Isolate

I'm in the age group that this is the biggest danger to, and I do wash my hands, use sanitizer, wear gloves at work and try to maintain physical distancing,but, I do have to say that this is growing at such a rapid rate, at least in part, because we are testing for it at an ever-increasing rate. Not to compare it to "normal" flu, which is so common that we generally just stay home until we recover; very few people ever get tested for flu. Imagine what that infection rate would be if the media and the government had been telling everyone to get tested for the flu for all these years.

We are pretty much shut in. But, I will venture to the post office and Walmart tomorrow for a few things I need. A friend posted a picture of the main highway running through town yesterday. I was empty. Like something from an apocalypse movie. Scary.

We've been pretty shut in for a few weeks. Luckily for us this isn't that different than our usual routine so we've adjusted fairly well (mostly miss the weekly trip out to the local and hoping they manage to survive the weather as they're run by friends). I think we usually have more food in our car on road trips than most folks have in their house (we tend to do breakfast & lunch or dinner as self serve) so we're probably somewhat better prepared than some, but we'll have to see how it goes depending on how long it takes to play out. Certainly working in increasing the meager gardening capacity we have (kinda wish I'd gone in for the 140 acres and a mule earlier.. hah).

A friend gave his daughter (2) a drive to get her to sleep and was commenting on how all the drive through's had lines and several of the local more "bulk" stores had packed parking lots. I saw a map sometime last week where they were tracking cellphone movement and in a lot of places it went up after "lockdown" so clearly a lot of folks were either not taking it seriously or were doing last minute panic stocking.

Seems like a lot of society has lost the "make do" theory, you might not LIKE what you have but maybe figure out how to get by with it for a while. I'm reminded of what was at the time wartime propaganda, I guess you'd call it a meme today.

1585500544479.png

We're in, and we'll pretty much stay in for the duration. We're 'homebodies,' so this really isn't that much of a change for us.

We do go out - about weekly - to the grocery store, and have ordered take-out a couple times, but that's it.

Earlier, Fred mentioned church services still being held. Not in our part of Ohio. All the churches in this area have shut down. Presumably, the governor's 'Not more than ten people' order is being adhered to by the local churches, clubs, etc.

We are pretty much shut in. But, I will venture to the post office and Walmart tomorrow for a few things I need. A friend posted a picture of the main highway running through town yesterday. I was empty. Like something from an apocalypse movie. Scary.
We are doing the same here, kind of peaceful though not having to put up with the masses out there.