short rant

Im struggling with this. I just spent 3 months basically locked down with the knee replacement, and now theres no end in sight with this lockdown in NY>

Allen - have been thinking about you and wondering how you are holding up at ground zero. Glad you and Elen are fine and I hope that continues! Stay healthy my friend!

Last edited:
This past week there has been a change in how people have approached the pandemic. A couple of weeks ago there was an general silence, with little traffic and people sheltered inside only venturing out to shop for supplies or exercise. This week as I worked from home I have noticed a sharp increase in traffic.

We are living temporarily in a rental complex composed of 5 buildings, housing a total of 28 3-bedroom townhouses with single car garages. This is just for another month and a half. We moved here from Bellingham after selling our house so that I could be closer to work and eliminate my hour commute before moving to our retirement home in a different part of the state.

As I work on my computer I have a view of the entire complex. From the actions of my neighbors I would surmise there is not a pandemic or a mandatory shelter in place. Residents are coming and going and there is a steady stream of visitors. Your only clue that something is not quite right is that many don't go to work and the children are not going to school.

Today was the worst day with a steady influx of visitors and all the children of the complex playing with each other. I realize my microcosm is a very limited one and hopefully not indicative of the general population. My neighbors average age is probably late twenties or early thirties and they are renting in the most affordable area around. So hopefully, in better neighborhoods people are still taking this seriously.

But I wonder.

well they shut us down even tighter now, no motorized boating just kayaks and canoes. no travel to other residences. only go to get food and gas if absolutely necessary. no even to family members.

well they shut us down even tighter now, no motorized boating just kayaks and canoes. no travel to other residences. only go to get food and gas if absolutely necessary. no even to family members.

What in the world is a problem with motorized boats?? I'm as willing as anyone to go along with this lock-down stuff when it makes sense, but that just seems like too extreme and unnecessary to me.

You should have seen how many people, took their car this easter and went to their second residences or to small villages where their nacestors come from. Police had controls on most roads and at the entrance of those villages, they made them return home with a fine of 800€ per person that was in the car. All those who think that this doesn't go with them should win the Darwin award.