Single phase vs three phase controllers

Danny Barber

I'm looking for some help from more experienced members here. I'm looking at a controller that is 3-phase only https://www.clrwtr.com/Products/ESV222N02TXB But the same vendor has a 3-phase or single phase controller for $22 more. It seems to me that spending $22 extra for a controller that could accept either 3-phase or single phase is a great deal. Am I missing something? Is there a catch?

I'm not electrician enough to know for certain, but I believe the inverter you linked to accepts only a 3P input, so unless you have 3P power in your shop, I don't think it'd work for you.

For the real electrical engineers who happen to see this thread, here's the link to the other 1P/3P inverter:

https://www.clrwtr.com/Catalog/Shop.../Control-Cabinet/Inverter-Drives/ESV222N02YXB

Hopefully someone with WAY more knowledge about such things will chime in and teach us both something. ;)

I'm neither an EE or an electrician, but Vaughn is correct. Unless you have 3 phase power there would be little (none, actually) reason to have one that would accept 3 phase input.

I may be wrong, but generally I don't think you see 3 phase power except in more industrial settings. Lot's of areas 3 phase is not available from what my power company told me. So, buying a 3 phase controller won't work for you unless you do in fact have 3 phase power at your shop.

I may be wrong, but generally I don't think you see 3 phase power except in more industrial settings. Lot's of areas 3 phase is not available from what my power company told me. So, buying a 3 phase controller won't work for you unless you do in fact have 3 phase power at your shop.

What makes things somewhat confusing is there are lathes like the Powermatic 3520 that plug into 240v single phase power, but the actual motor is a 3 phase motor. The electronic controller/inverter handles all the magic of making the 3P motor run off 1P power.

Most controllers are also phase converters. Like the Powermatic and most other larger lathes, the motor takes 3 phase power. The controller converts most of our 220/240 single phase power to the 3 phase power the motor needs with the added benefit of allowing speed control and reverse and sometimes variable braking and accelerating capabilities. So, for a better answer we would need to know what kind of power you have and what you are trying to control. I have a 3 phase Powermatic model 90 lathe I'd like to add variable speed. It's currently running on a loud mechanical/rotary phase converter. So if what you are doing is similar to that type of upgrade, please give us a report of what you get, and how you hooked it up. thanks. If you do have 3 phase power in your shop, you have access to lots of big old iron machines that can be fairly inexpensive since most of us cannot run 3 phase equipment.