SketchUp: Trying to Clarify the Options [Sorry. It's Long]

Yes added a few things since your visit.

The neighbor that moved in across the street has a home based business and it has given me a different perspective on what is possible upon retirement, so I am trying to get all the toys before I retire from my day job.

That sounds like a good plan.

I'm still using 2017 and it works just fine for me. I use it for wood projects, as always, and most of my 3d printer work.

I took a look at SketchUp Free but didn't use it enough to be comfortable with it, especially since 2017 still works.

Ah, threads. It seems like I've been modeling screw threads fairly frequently lately. You've probably seen these.

I use a couple of extensions that work with both Pro and Make but then to do things like add the small chamfer around the edge of a hole or the end of the screw like in the next image, I do use one that relies on the Solid Tools which is a pro-only thing. It can be done without that extension but the extension makes it faster.

Do let me know when you run into something.

As always Dave; you're the man. You are the only reason I am using SketchUp. For others who don't know the tale . . . I was posting that I was on the verge of throwing in the towel despite years of experience with 2D programs. Dave bolted on the training wheels till I had that "ah-ha!" moment and was able to see that I was modeling in a 3D "space", not drawing a 3D representation on a 2D canvas. I can never thank him enough but, thanks again Dave :rofl:.

Add my thanks to the pile, Dave. I really appreciate all of your past, present (and I assume) future assistance and insights on Sketchup. I'm a pretty infrequent user, but when I need it, there's nothing that'll do the job as easily.

As always Dave; you're the man. You are the only reason I am using SketchUp. For others who don't know the tale . . . I was posting that I was on the verge of throwing in the towel despite years of experience with 2D programs. Dave bolted on the training wheels till I had that "ah-ha!" moment and was able to see that I was modeling in a 3D "space", not drawing a 3D representation on a 2D canvas. I can never thank him enough but, thanks again Dave :rofl:.

I'm borrowing Glenn's post because it mirrors my experience. I was so comfortable with a 2D drawing program that I had a ton of trouble with SU. Thirty minutes on the phone with Dave and I was on my way and never turned back. I'm nowhere as accomplished as I'd like to be, but I can draw a cabinet pretty good now!!