sketchup ?

larry merlau

tried to use my version 17 and it wont start up.. said it was to old and wanted me to buy a newer version. is there a free version available anymore? calling MR Dave :)

Sorry. Geuess I'm probably too late. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a message during startup that SketchUp 2017 isn't getting any older and suggesting you update but you should still be able to get past that and go ahead and do your work.

I'm not certain if the norm here is to bump and old thread or start fresh, but this question is on topic.

I'm generally good with software but Sketch Up leaves me frustrated. When does it get intuitive? I've watched a dozen You Tube videos and still can't get the hang of it.

Windows but I stopped using it over a year ago. I watched as many woodworking specific videos discussing Sketch Up as I could find. I think there was Jay Bates, April Wilkerson, etc.

I took a drafting class decades ago in high school and understand perspective. I dealt with prints when I worked for a die casting company. I'm very comfortable around computers. I just can't design even a simple box in the program. I tried doing a shop lay out, basically two dimensional, and quit in frustration.

I have a school email and IIRC I also had access to a full version for education.

So no recent experience with SketchUp and perhaps not the best instruction when you did use it.

Are you posting now because you'd like try SketchUp again or for some other reason?

The fact is that SketchUp is entirely capable of letting you model whatever you want. (Examples here With the right instruction and a will to succeed I think you can learn it.

I feel like a Luddite using paper and pencil. Lol I also tend to "wing it" too often with my projects with unpredictable results. I'm starting to build out some custom garage cabinets and would really like to model the layout before getting started.

Do you have some recommendations on better ways to learn the program?

I feel like a Luddite using paper and pencil. Lol I also tend to "wing it" too often with my projects with unpredictable results. I'm starting to build out some custom garage cabinets and would really like to model the layout before getting started.

Do you have some recommendations on better ways to learn the program?
jim. Dave Richards is your man for teaching you sketchup! he has taught many of us how to use it, and he also is one of the main guys on fine woodworking forum on aketchup usage