Small Hackberry Bowl

Dave Hoskins

This is the first bowl from the new haul of hackberry wood. The grain pattern is fairly nice and the spalting that it has is quite interesting looking. 8 1/4" diameter, 2" high, 1 3/4" deep, 4 cups volume. Sealed the wood with walnut oil and then buffed it with the tripoli stuff. Then used shellac for the finishing rubbing in probably 4 coats while spinning at a lower speed. After drying it was buffed again, no additives, at a higher speed.

Attachments

• BLHB85.JPG
    BLHB85.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BLHB85A.JPG
    BLHB85A.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 11
  • BLHB85B.JPG
    BLHB85B.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 6
  • BLHB85C.JPG
    BLHB85C.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
  • BLHB85D.JPG
    BLHB85D.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 9
  • BLHB85E.JPG
    BLHB85E.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 9
  • BLHB85F.JPG
    BLHB85F.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BLHB85G.JPG
    BLHB85G.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 12
Nice bowl, Dave. I've turned a bit of hackberry and never really enjoyed it, but I've seen others (like you) get good results with it. I suspect the blanks I used were too far gone...it was so punky it was difficult to get a decent finish with the tools.

Chuck, I just got a bit impatient and had to turn something from the new wood. :rofl: Vaughn, ya gotta start turning hackberry and cottonwood while they be green. Otherwise you get what you were saying. Been there, done that.

Some of my Hackberry is closer to sawdust than to solid wood, but if you're patient with it you can get some pretty nice bowls from it. You might have to do a little stabilizing on some of it.