Small Jacaranda Jar

Dave Hoskins

Thought I had this finished yesterday, but decided the finial was just too high to be a balanced piece. So, I done shrunk it. Now it is fine. This is the first piece I have ever turned of this wood and I do like it. The color is good and so is the grain pattern. The lighter streaking in it makes you think of blemishes, but I don't know for sure if that's what it is or just another part of the grain pattern. I just know for sure it don't sand out. Another goof was on the first attempt with the vessel part. I actually managed, while sanding a crack out, to sand right through the bottom area of it. OOOPPSS! Oh, well. The diameter of this one is 3 1/2" with a total height of 5 1/4". The vessel height is 3 1/2" with a depth of 2 3/4". The volume is 1 1/4 cup. I sealed it all with walnut oil and then finished it with shellac. There was some buffing with tripoli and white diamond compounds somewhere in there.

Attachments

• BXJAC1.JPG
    BXJAC1.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 10
  • BXJAC1A.JPG
    BXJAC1A.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC1B.JPG
    BXJAC1B.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC1C.JPG
    BXJAC1C.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC1D.JPG
    BXJAC1D.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC1E.JPG
    BXJAC1E.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC1F.JPG
    BXJAC1F.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BXJAC1G.JPG
    BXJAC1G.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 10
Looks nice, Dave. :thumb: I've only turned one or two pieces of jacaranda...scrap from a neighbor's tree trimming when I lived in LA. It looked real similar to the piece you have. It was easy to turn and took a finish well.

Thanks all! I agree with you Ryan. I will risk my fingers only so far to get the inside as smooth as the outside. This one I went as far as 180 grit on the inside. With the 180 it felt fairly smooth so since my hand was aching from it, I decided that was good enough. There were still a couple of spots I would have liked to get better, but hey! I think it's good enough.