Small Lidded Bowl in Apple

I've got a pile of apple that's been drying for over a year or two now... gonna have to get it out and give it a go.
Hope it's dried without too many splits, always a problem with fruit woods.
Usually a pleasure to turn with its tight grain which supports fine detail and sharp edges, similar to Cherry and like Cherry a test of finishing methods as it is very proficient at highlighting any cross grain scratches.

Hope it's dried without too many splits, always a problem with fruit woods.
Usually a pleasure to turn with its tight grain which supports fine detail and sharp edges, similar to Cherry and like Cherry a test of finishing methods as it is very proficient at highlighting any cross grain scratches.
Me too... it's been under a tarp all that time and I haven't looked at in over a year or more... it was free wood so nothing will be lost but do hope it still has some good usable pieces...

I think small scale DIY air drying of wood is one of those subjects that are a case of try it and see, Country, local climate and more importantly the Micro Climate of the individual location, be it garden, wood store, workshop, loft etc. are so variable for individual circumstances that what one person finds gives them consistent best results, turns out to be a disaster for another.
At least the years gaining experience go well with trying to hone the craft skills.
These are recent images of some Cherry I have been moving around.

cherry1.jpg
A short section of a log after 5 years.
cherry2.jpg
Face shrinkage of a 'halved' log after 8 years.
cherry3.jpg
A summer growth Cherry slab after 12 months.