Small projects

Tom Baugues

I've been playing on my lathe this week. Learning how to turn snowmen is harder than I thought. Then I've been wanting to try these little birdhouse ornaments. I was happy with how it came out.
Lastly, I'm wanting to try to learn how to turn rings so tonight I turned my first. A simple all wood walnut ring with friction polish (since all my CA glue was dried up).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 19
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm new to real lathing so everything I try is pretty new... I turned one small bowl many years ago and made some dowels for other projects but that's it. My bowl making was limited to hand carving and using Lancelot tools and the like. I still like doing that but turned bowls fill another niche in the home. My carved bowls are more decorative and the turned stuff is meant to be functional. I have been finishing with straight beeswax or a beeswax/mineral oil finish so that they are food safe.

Alan

I used to turn some ornaments but stopped doing it 3-4 years ago. I just gave them away to friends and family. They all have some, so no real point other than just to do it. Those look really nice. Good work!!!