Small wood haul

Tom Baugues

I saw a posting on Facebook for some free wood from a tree that was just cut down. I went over to have a look and there were mostly very large trunk size (25"-30" across) pieces left over however I did manage to find some that I could still carry that I hope I can use. The man said it was CATALPA. I don't think I have ever heard of it before. He told me to take all I wanted. He also showed me another huge tree that was being taken down next week. I dont have room for much so I only took a few. The grain looks pretty tight. Anyone used this wood before? Hope to cut it up to put on the lathe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 17
Moderately soft, nice to carve. Watch the grain hardness transition around the rings when sanding (unless you want to enhance the ridged effect). Should turn pretty well..

Can you or (get someone) to slab some chunks off of the larger blocks for turning? Night get some nice grain structure from those pieces (although that one lopsided limb you have there looks potentially pretty cool as well).

Never turned Catalpa, but my uncle in Texas had a Catalpa growing in his front yard... it had long bean pods that my cousin and I used to pull off and throw at one another... the pods get about a foot long.

78bcf64f9ca28e89760b66b54eb21cee.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk