Smallish Maple Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Finished this up today. There were a couple of spots on it that I kept thinking were a bit rough, but I kept on sanding and then finally felt them and they were baby smooth. Hmmm. Oh, well. I did what I usually do and sealed the wood with walnut oil. There are around 5 coats of shellac rubbed in. I did some buffing with the tripoli and white diamond stuff in there somewhere. Well, before the finishing anyway.

Attachments

• BLMP1.JPG
    BLMP1.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 11
  • BLMP1A.JPG
    BLMP1A.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 11
  • BLMP1B.JPG
    BLMP1B.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 9
  • BLMP1C.JPG
    BLMP1C.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 9
  • BLMP1D.JPG
    BLMP1D.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BLMP1E.JPG
    BLMP1E.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 9
  • BLMP1F.JPG
    BLMP1F.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 10
  • BLMP1G.JPG
    BLMP1G.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 11
I like little bowls. I bet I sell 10 or more little bowls for every biggish bowl I sell. To me little bowls are 5" and under. Anything larger qualifies as a larger bowl. Most of the bowls II sell fit in 4x4x4 or 5x5x5 box.

My philosophy is based upon my wife's habits. She collects small b owls. She gets first choice of what I make and invariably she seizes a small bowl. She likes to use them when her bridge friends or reading club are here for snacks. Each person gets their own bowl. She likes the fact that they stack within each other easily and take up less space in the cabinets.

I turn a lot of 3" bowls as well.

If you have a 10" square blank 3" thick you can turn a big bowl and sell it for a $100. You can cut it up into 3" cubes and sell the 9 bowls for close to $400. And once you are practiced you can probably turn and finish those 9 bowls in less time than it takes to turn and finish the big one.

Smaller bowls seem to be trending right now. And, they are fun. In the past, when I was selling a lot, bigger bowls (10"- 16") were selling all the time. When I was shipping to Singapore, they would order a lot of the 10-12 range. Dozens at a time. As well as platters, and pie plates. But, nowadays it seems I am turning more for the fun of it than anything else. And, that's alright with me. Turning makes me a happy camper and that is good.