Smoker...Disappointment No More

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
As I mentioned in the Friday thread, my Masterbuilt Electric smoker stopped working toward the end of a long cook last week. It has served me well, but I was guessing it had burned up in one way or another as they apparently seem to do (based on what I've seen reported on the Web). I was pretty busy late last week and this weekend, so I hadn't had time to check it out. In the meantime, I had started looking at my options in the event I needed to buy a new one. After some research, I'd decided I wanted to get a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker to replace it. No more adding chips every 30 minutes or so. WiFi connectivity so I could monitor and control things from anywhere. (The old one has Bluetooth with a limited range.) More cooking space (although I've yet to fill the old one beyond capacity.) Even looks like I could cold smoke cheese with a few added steps in the new one.

Finally, I had some time Sunday afternoon to check out the old smoker. Within a few minutes I was able to determine the problem was a sketchy connection at the extension cord it was plugged into. Once that was addressed, the old smoker worked great. Now I feel let down, because I was already looking forward to playing with a new smoker. Try as I might, I just can't figure out a way to justify buying a new smoker to replace a perfectly functional old one. Something tells me LOML might not really be on board with that plan, lol. (She doesn't eat much meat, and she's not real fond of smoked foods in general.) I don't have space on the patio for two smokers next to my grill. (My big smoker is on the side of the house, but I haven't used it since we moved to this house.)

So I'm bummed. No new smoker for me, at least not right now. :confused: I can usually justify a new guitar or gun by selling one I don't use. But the old smoker wouldn't sell for very much money. Still, give me time...sooner or later I'll figure out a perfectly logical reason to own the new one, lol. :D

Hi Vaughn, I have the pit boss your looking at minus the wifi connection. I believe its the 3rd smoker we have owned and its the best one. Very easy to use, light, and holds a steady temp where ever you set it. Only issue we have had is the temp prob stopped working but one call to Pit Boss and we had a new one a week later, no charge. I think you will really like it if you decide to go for it..

I hear the angst about rationalizing a new smoker. I figured a new smoker was in the works when my masterbilt quit but just never pulled the plug. Just fixed it and went on. I'm looking st the Camp Chef24 DLX. Has all the nells and whistles you can want. The WiFi doesn't really interest me but is a plus. With just 2 of us it does seem a bit of an over kill to a new smoker. But I can dream,
David

Ahhh, I feel your pain. I do have to say since I got a pellet smoker it has really made smoking meat just completely easy. Made ribs last night that were pretty dang good, maybe a little too tender, but so good.

I'll be getting my pellet smoker out today to smoke some ribs and pork tenderloins for dinner tonight. I do miss "having" to sit and drink beer as I monitor the smoker all day instead of doing any kind of chores, but I still do it just to be sure things don't get crazy. ;)

I do have faith that you'll find a totally un-rational reason to get the new one though. ;)

Diamonds are a GUY'S best friend! (y)

Some of my purchases, both shop and smoker related, over the past many years have come with a trade-off. Bobbie loves rings, watches, and necklaces. When I want a new "tool" of whatever type, I try to be aware of what she's been "researching" for her next trinket. If mama's happy, the world is a better place!!!

I have that problem as well. I'd love to have a Big Green Egg...but buying one (for our house) would be pretty silly. I'm the only one who would enjoy it.
I have had a BGE for about 30 years and used it about 3 time a week for all those years until I bought a Pit Boss pellet grill. Then only used it about once a week. Let my son take it when I sold the farm as no place to put it.
Just bought a Blackstone griddle and LOVE it so can smoke on the PB grill and do smashed burgers and stir fry on the griddle

I'll be getting my pellet smoker out today to smoke some ribs and pork tenderloins for dinner tonight. I do miss "having" to sit and drink beer as I monitor the smoker all day instead of doing any kind of chores, but I still do it just to be sure things don't get crazy. ;)

I do have faith that you'll find a totally un-rational reason to get the new one though. ;)
You know me too well, Darren. :D

Next time you clean it up, leave it a couple steps from the curb. Someone will help you along . . .
Ah yes, Homeless Depot. I hadn't thought about that approach.

Diamonds are a GUY'S best friend! (y)

Some of my purchases, both shop and smoker related, over the past many years have come with a trade-off. Bobbie loves rings, watches, and necklaces. When I want a new "tool" of whatever type, I try to be aware of what she's been "researching" for her next trinket. If mama's happy, the world is a better place!!!
I married a cheap date. She's not into jewelry, purses, or shoes. But you have a point. We just dropped off three things at Michael's to get them framed. (Couldn't pass up their 70% off sale. I couldn't buy the materials to frame these items for the price Michael's is doing them for.) ;)

tell your beloved that you are willing to trade 2 guitars, for 1 smoker....
Hey! Let's not get carried away! :rofl:

Not sure how, but someone I know managed to set an electric masterbuilt on fire and burn up the cord and controller. Maybe you just need to get more creative?
I like the way you think. ("Honest dear, I had no idea I shouldn't be using gasoline to start my electric smoker!")

... I do have faith that you'll find a totally un-rational reason to get the new one though. ;)
Well, that didn't take me too long, lol. Turns out one of my nephews doesn't have a smoker. Seeing as how he's a trained chef (and any chef should have a smoker), and seeing as how I'm probably the best uncle ever, I've uncovered a win-win situation. I think I'll be heading over to Lowes later this afternoon to pick up my new smoker. :rofl: :thumb:

Been looking at the Blackstone griddles. Seems like a good thing to have around.
I love mine Ted. I bought the 30" 3 burner from Lowes. Man it makes a killer Oklahoma smashed burger and doing stir fry cooks on it is SO nice
I looked at Blackstone, also, but like some features of the Pit Boss better. We bought the 36" PB and we love it!
I couldnt find Pit Boss Griddles anywhere around here but my cousins husband bought one up in Kansas and loves his. He has some killer rubs he makes and sells too

Congrats Vaughn! I knew where theres a will there's a way!

Dang, Now I'm researching these flat top things. I think I started seeing people post about them about a half year ago. They sure look nice, but not sure I'd use one often enough with only 2 people to make it worth while...

Congrats Vaughn! I knew where theres a will there's a way!

Dang, Now I'm researching these flat top things. I think I started seeing people post about them about a half year ago. They sure look nice, but not sure I'd use one often enough with only 2 people to make it worth while...
We have a small Blackstone griddle - about 18" X 24". Powered by a propane bottle. Very good size for the two of us. We use it for a number of things, from pancakes to stir frys, to zucchini fritters.
Was under $200 when we got it several years ago.