Smoker...Disappointment No More

Our camper came with a "Graystone" Griddle. I'd like to know the difference between it and the Blackstone? They look almost alike other than mine has a cast iron top that you season vs steel.
2021-03-07 16.10.44.jpg
It does seem to get hot spots on it, mostly in the center over the burner. I kind of wish that it had two burners with their own controls for each side of the griddle. I do enjoy making breakfast on it though.

Last edited:
Congrats Vaughn! I knew where theres a will there's a way!

Dang, Now I'm researching these flat top things. I think I started seeing people post about them about a half year ago. They sure look nice, but not sure I'd use one often enough with only 2 people to make it worth while...
As much as you cook you will use it more than you think I am using mine 2 times a day 3 to 4 days a week. Its almost faster than a microwave and makes the best french toast EVER.:drool:

There are just two old farts here using it :rofl:

You guys that use a pellet smoker, do you find that the meat is fairly dry once cooked? That's a problem I have especially with ribs (not with a pellet smoker).

You guys that use a pellet smoker, do you find that the meat is fairly dry once cooked? That's a problem I have especially with ribs (not with a pellet smoker).
Exactly the opposite. Made some ribs on sunday. Basically just took them out of the package, put on some rub and put them on the smoker for 6 hours. Never opened the smoker in that time.
They came out super tender and juicy.

The low (225 temperature) and consistency of the temperature helps to keep things from drying out.

No problem with my ribs drying out. I cooked two racks Saturday to serve to guests using my usual 3-2-1 method at 225°F. I modify the specific times based on how the ribs look at each step. After applying my rub at the beginning, I spritz with a mixture of apple and pineapple juices, then apply more spritz every 30-45 minutes. I wrap in foil after squirting the foil with liquid margarine and shaking on some of my finishing powder. When wrapped, I put them back on the smoker for a couple of hours. At about the five hour mark, I remove them from the wrap, put them back on the smoker and spritz with the juice combo. I go for the "competition tender" point of being able to take a bite without the rest of the meat falling off. Oh, and they are plenty juicy!

Nope, but I do a 2-2-1 (baby backs) or 3-2-1 (spare ribs) method. First digit is hours on the grid, spraying with apple juice every 15 minutes or so. Second digit is hours wrapped up in foil, maybe with a little beer poured in, last digit is an hour with the foil open to firm them back up as they are too moist.

Thanks for the replies guys, I may put a Pit Boss on my shopping list.
I'm only one cook in so far, but I like the way it worked. The phone app is a bit wonky (I knew that ahead of time from reading various reviews) but other than that, it worked great. The chicken I cooked last night didn't have a lot of smoky flavor, but that might have been the pellets I was using. (I was trying the Pit Boss "Competition Blend".) Looking forward to trying it on something that cooks more than a few hours.

I'm only one cook in so far, but I like the way it worked. The phone app is a bit wonky (I knew that ahead of time from reading various reviews) but other than that, it worked great. The chicken I cooked last night didn't have a lot of smoky flavor, but that might have been the pellets I was using. (I was trying the Pit Boss "Competition Blend".) Looking forward to trying it on something that cooks more than a few hours.
I've been using Pit Boss Competition Blend as well as their Classic Blend (Pecan, HIckory, Mesquite). I get plenty of smoke on my 3-2-1 ribs during the four hours they're in the smoke. Other cooks I've done were going to be shorter, so I started the grill at 180° to get a good layer of smoke on, then went to 225°.

I know with the traegers, at higher temperatures they tend to produce less smoke, so a lot of recipes will call for running at a low 'smoke' temp for a while if you're really looking for a lot of smoky goodness before cranking it back up to cook.

I know with the traegers, at higher temperatures they tend to produce less smoke, so a lot of recipes will call for running at a low 'smoke' temp for a while if you're really looking for a lot of smoky goodness before cranking it back up to cook.
Good to know. I did this one at 225º until the last 5 degrees or so of the internal temp, when I kicked it up to 300º. I've generally not after a ton of smoke flavor (and LOML prefers it that way), but there are times when I want a bit more than I got on this chicken.

The 3-2-1 method works well for me also but instead of wrapping the ribs I use a disposable aluminum pan.

3hrs on the rack bone side down.
2 hrs in the pan covered with 1/2" - 3/4" apple juice in pan meat side down. Pan covered in foil.
1 hr in pan bone side down uncovered.

For those times when you want a bit more smoke, or want to do an extended cold smoke, these smoker tubes are awesome. Well worth the money. Also, to get the best smoke from pellets try zapping them in the microwave for a couple of 30 second bursts before you light them up.