Smokers

David Johnson

Working on my second Masterbuilt electric smoker. First one just died at 3 years old. Got another little bigger and more expensive. Two years later( now) this one decides not to heat over 110. 115 degrees. At first would go to 200 and that's all. Now the lower temp. Replaced heating element now avail. Masterbuilt say "may" be the control. Don't want to do a shotgun fix. Been reviewing propane smokers off all makes. Haven't pull plug yet but I'm leaning that way. Now seem to be insulated which is a turn off for me. Guess could insulate as others have done. Any thoughts? Summer is getting away from me but if right unit I can smoke all winter.
David

So If you turn the dial on it all the way up, the heating element just doesn't heat? I forget what mine old masterbuilt would get to but I know it got at least up into the 400's easy.

Do you have the electronic model? Mine was the old analog model that I put an external PID controller on and that controller would keep the temperature pretty darn even all day long.

I've had the larger size (wide enough for a full rack of ribs) Masterbuilt propane smoker for about four years and have been relatively happy with it. For me the big trouble has been trying to keep and hold a steady temperature in the thing. Trying to zero in on 250F for long periods is problematic. I get 25° temperature swings and have to really keep an eye on it. I was/am kind of envious of the guys who had electric smokers and pimped them out with accurate temperature controllers. The other thing I've noticed is that the burner element is rusting out. Haven't checked to see if it's replaceable, but if not I'll be looking for a new smoker and may try an electric one this time. It's possible that insulation would help steady the temperature, but other than that I'm not sure if it's needed. One benefit of using propane is the ability to move the smoker around/away from the house and not have to rely on extension cords.

Last edited:
I converted a large-ish horizontal wood-burning smoker to propane, and it holds a pretty steady temperature after the conversion, but I think some of that has to do with its size and the fact that it's made of thick steel. I've also used a smaller vertical propane smoker (made of lighter gauge steel), and like Ted, I had trouble keeping temps steady.

My Masterbuilt is the first electric one I've owned with an electronic controller, and it stays within about 5º of where it's set. I'm pretty sure the insulation plays a big role in that. I've seen a number of complaints about the Masterbuilt smokers failing to get up to temp after a few years, but the step up to pro-level electric smokers is a pretty big jump in price. (Although it if lasts three or four times longer than a Mastebuilt, a high-end smoker is probably a better deal in the long run. Just like cheap vs. expensive tools.)