Smoking Fresh Bratwurst - Any Tips?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Title says it all. I picked up a package of fresh brats last night at the grocery store and want to try smoking them in the electric smoker instead of my usual "boil 'em then grill 'em" routine. Any of you guys have any tips?

Nope, Never tried it but sounds like a great idea. Just wondering if they would dry out in the smoker though?

I've been doing the 3-2-1 method on ribs lately, and I've been wrapping them in peach paper for the 2 part of it. The paper lets smoke in, and keeps the moisture level high, unlike aluminum foil which would keep the smoke out.

I wonder if wrapping them in peach paper with a little liquid, (beer/cider etc) would help to keep them moist while letting the smoke in?

Just thinking out loud.

I typically cut the casings off, may add some other ingredients, such as brown sugar and pineapple, or garlic and bbq seasoning. Then make a larger loaf, about 2" in diameter, and smoke it. Can put it in saran wrap and spin a round holding the ends, like a tootsie roll. Than roll it out of the saran wrap onto the grid to give it a casing look.

I got 10th place out of 180 one year at the Kansas State Bbq championship with the pineapple recipe and the saran wrap method.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Place brats in smoker 1 1/2 hours at 250 degrees.internal temperature 178 degrees. Come out good and tender. Use apple chips. Freeze what don't get eaten for later feast. Sometimes go in with ribs for the time required.
David

Well,I went with 220º to an internal temp of 180, with a mix of apple and mesquite. They came out great, but for some reason the pics I took didn't get saved. :dunno: The casing was a little tougher than the usual boiled & grilled version, but they were sure tasty. :thumb:

The casing was a little tougher than the usual boiled & grilled version, but they were sure tasty. :thumb:
Sure sounds good, and that is why I just remove the casings. They may help with moisture, but not had an issue with them being dry with all the fat they have in them. They get to be more like breakfast sausage in consistency/firmness, which is what I usually make the garlic version for.