Some new bowls..

Chuck Ellis

These are a few new bowls I finished this week. I have a booth at the Charles Hall Museum Market Place here in Tellico Plains... one of the other vendors brought me a few pieces of wood from a tree he cut... all Cherry and with some burl.... these are 4 bowls I cut from the wood.
104204 (2).JPG 104204 (4).JPG
The bowl is 8 3/4" diameter by 3 1/2" high at the rim, and finished in polyurethane. I had a big hole in the bowl where a limb had rotted away... filled with sawdust and CA.
104205 (1).JPG 104205 (5).JPG
This one is 8 1/2" by 2 1/4" high and also finished in polyurethane.
104206 (1).JPG 104206 (5).JPG
This one is 5 1/2 by 2 inches... same finish.... it has actually warped slightly as green fruit woods will do.... this was actually the first of the bowls I turned and it sat for a couple of weeks before I put finish on it.
104207 (1).JPG 104207 (5).JPG
This one is 5 3/4 b 2 and was turned from one of the knots/burls on the side of the log...

Attachments

• 104206 (5).JPG
    104206 (5).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Also did a couple of Paulownia bowls from a tree I got from my neighbor
They are both about 6" diameter and 2" high...
104208 (1).JPG 104208 (5).JPG
104209 (1).JPG 104209 (5).JPG
Paulownia is an easy wood to work with, it's relatively soft, but tends to be fuzzy after turning... does require a bit of sanding.
Very light weight wood.... it's actually being grown in Australia as a timber substitute... it's fairly stable as a wood... this lay as a log in my shop for well over 2 years and did not check.... the center of the tree often has a void where the pith should be.

Paulownia is a terrible weed tree around here, as it suckers and runners and takes over areas rather invasively. it does carve reasonable nice though and I like the sort of clean simplicity of the wood. I've been trying to figure out something interesting to do with the hollow pith in whole branches. Made some real pretty bowls to (y)

Always love the cherry and with some burl extra nice!

Those chery bowl cerainly have beautiful character. Very nice looking bowls. The paulownia bowls are beautiful in there simplicity of grain. Very nice job.
david

Very nice Chuck. Curious how many coats of wipe on do you normally apply.
I like to try and put at least 3 or 4 depending on how it takes on the wood..... I also put 2 coats of sanding sealer under the poly and under the sanding sealer I have a coating of my version of abrasive grit... except on the paulownia... I didn't use the abrasive grit.