Some Progress Made

Dave Hoskins

I got a fair amount done today before it just go hot in the shop area. The lathe is assembled. Don't have to tool rest or other little things on it, but the main part is done. Will be moving it into position tomorrow. Went and got the proper receptacle for it's 220 circuit. Got most of the band saw un-crated but then the compressor arrived. Then UPS arrived with more new items. So, by the time all that happened, it was about 96 in the shop. Stopping time for me. If you don't recognize the brand, the compressor came from Home Depot. The performance of this unit was a good bit better than Lowe's similar compressor. So, I got it and the extended warranty. Now keep in mind my shop is a metal 3 car garage open only in the front, so I a dirt floor and all that. Here are some "before" photos of the progress to date.

New Tools  6Sept19.jpgNew Tools 6Sep19 A.jpgNew Tools 6Sep19B.jpgNew Tools 6Sep19C.jpg

They've really stepped up their crating game since the last couple items I ordered from them.

Looks great! I vote for more pictures as well!

My original lathe came on a pallet in some card board boxes. This was a vast improvement. Somebody got smart. More pics tomorrow. Ran out of the ol' physical steam a while ago. Moved the old lathe out, and the new one in where I think I want it. I am gonna build some new shelving in the lathe area, though. Gonna get the wood first of the week. I want to make sure everything is exactly where it needs to be, then build the shelving. The band saw is where I think it ought to be as well as the compressor. So, tomorrow is going to be wiring day. Start up day. And, get 'er going day! Wheeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a nice compressor...my friend that just quit his wood turning due to health problems has one sitting in the corner of his shop... it is a beast and when it kicks on, gets pretty loud, but his shop is a closed 2 bay garage, built with cement blocks.. air conditioned, heated and top notch fixtures... They've just walled in the roll up doors, with windows in the new walls, but left the roll up doors as extra security....it's his wife's sewing room now with a long arm quilter where his lathes were... he got to keep one section for his gun/ammo loading and she got the rest. Don't know what they'll do with the compressor now, but last time I was there all the wood tools were gone, but compressor was still in the corner.

From living there, I know that parts of Texas are pretty dry, Not Houston though, but how do you keep your tools from rusing with an open front garage/shop.... or do you have doors that you can lower when not in there? My shop is also a metal building 12x24, but it's all closed in with just a double doorway (6' wide) that I can open for air circulation and I have two windows on one side... my lathe sits in front of one of the doors, so it rarely gets opened, but I can leave the entry door open. The shop does sit under two big trees so I'm in shade most of the day there. Only one end is exposed to sun.

I actually don't have a rust problem worth talking about for some reason. I was concerned about that when I first set up here. On the lathe I just keep the ways lightly oiled and no problem. As far as the rain is concerned, everything is far enough in so no matter how hard it blows from the south (garage faces that way) it doesn't reach anything. When twisters are in the area, you never know which way anything is gonna go, so I then cover and tie down a tarp over the lathe. Yeah, the compressor is now broke in, and runs good, and rather loud! But, loud is good. Right? I really planned on being totally operational today, but just ran out of steam. There will be tomorrow, though. :D

Understand the steam issue... as we get older seems the old boiler doesn't handle as much steam as the younger version.... I do a craft market downtown Knoxville every Saturday... by the time the day is over about 1700 hours... I pretty much shot for the rest of the day... Sunday is usually a re-coop day. I turn 78 in about 10 days, so think this will be my last season at the market.

When I was younger, I used to think that ozone alert stuff was just total bunk. Now I don't. We've been having that steadily for about 3 weeks. And, with the heat, aarrgggg!!!. Just takes it out of me now. But, hey. Still getting it done, just slower. :D I participated in some annual fair, but that was all. Never did the weekly or monthly stuff. Don't think I would want to. But, the one you go to must be worthwhile. Or, usually anyway. Mounting a blade on this new band saw has proven to be an adjustment for me. Will have the shop fairly operational tomorrow I am sure. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably.

When I participated in some annual fair, but that was all. Never did the weekly or monthly stuff. Don't think I would want to. But, the one you go to must be worthwhile. Or, usually anyway.

Like any regular sales operation, some days are good, some days not so good. This last weekend was not so good... only sold 2 bowls all day... but most of the crowd was there for the TN Vols game against BYU and most of the crowd was BYU... not wanting to take pieces back on the airplane.

I've been contacted by a local vendor who is opening a store in Gatlinburg, a high tourist area, on the artist and craft loop... I went Thursday to check it out and there was a sizeable crowd looking around and shopping... think I'm going to do some consignment with him and give up the show at the end of the season.