Sparky Question.........

The only thing I see wrong with Stu's panel is that it is not enclosed (I am assuming). You could stick your finger into a live circuit. If it is covered and knowing Stu, it normally is. I don't see any thing dangerous about it. It just looks unconventional.

Stu,

Knowing your current panel is NOT covered, I would recommend you get the one in your pic....if it meets your electrical spec needs (voltage, current) High humidity, like in Japan...saw dust particles... You need something more protective of your supply system, IMO.

As many as you want

Several years ago, I bought a book on house wiring. It is based upon the 1999 NEC, so things could have changed, and/or totally different in Japan.

At that point in time, there was no limit on the number or outlets on a circuit. The reasoning is that it is better to have many outlets than to use extension cords. The breaker and wiring gauge are selected to work together. You can not say that about extension cords. The book then goes on to say that the general rule is to figure your anticipated max load at 80% of the breaker rating. That is pretty standard.:) If I were doing it Stuart, I would use 12 ga. wire and a 20 amp breaker, and at least 10 ga. for the feed to the 30 amp. panel.

In addition, you must run a separate earth ground wire from the main panel, and not tie earth ground and the neutral together at your subpanel. You never install an earth ground rod at a subpanel. You always get your earth ground from the main panel.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with the appearance of your panel, given that you have a metal cover for it. The electrons don't care about appearance, they only want a good tight connection.

Last edited:
Ken, the earth is from the main panel, the feed for the sub panel is way larger than#10, the wires, the copper part, are about 1/4" thick.

There is no cover on the panel, as there is no requirement for a cover, but that being said, I think I'll build a box with some doors over the panel. The panel is up high on the wall, near the 8' mark, so you would have some trouble sticking a finger into a live circuit.

Cheers!

Sorry, it was late and I just fired that off with not much info :eek:

Here is half of my "Panel"

panel1.jpg

it is indeed a "sub panel" from the main panel.

I know it looks scary, but it is all perfectly legal here in Tokyo. :dunno:

I do have a lot of things on separate circuits, like the lathe, and the fridge, table saw etc. The large tools, the Jointer, The Phoenix, and the cyclone all run on 3-phase of which I have lots of power. Tools that are 100V that I'd be running together are something like the Festool saw and the vacuum cleaner, not much more than that.

So if I buy a panel with 20 spots for breakers, that is OK?

Just checking.

Stu - since it looks like a 12"x20" piece of wood, I'd say a full 4' x 8' sheet of plywood should get you to about 100+ circuits! :D:rofl::thumb:

Brings new meaning to a sub-panel! Maybe it should be called a sub-sheet! :rofl::rofl::rofl: (I crack myself up sometimes!)

That's my expert advice. I slept in a Motel 6 last night I guess.

Hey Stu if it works for you then that is good enough. It is scary looking but I have seen old wiring in homes that are two bare wires seperated by 1 ft on ceramic posts run all over the house attached to cedar framing as that was the way homes were wired at one time. Of course they didn't have as many electrical things back then as we do. Far to think wiring in a shop that way but I am sure that it could be done. Or I have run into electrical junction boxes with 110 and 240 wiring all connected together with just electrical tape cramed into a metal box hidden in walls or laying on the ground under the house next to puddles. All passing inspections. Your dad must have equally scary stories to tell you about what he has run into before there were codes.

Looks like 2/0 alum. service entry cable feeding your main bkr. Don't forget to De-ox.

Looks can be deceiving, it is NOT aluminum, but good old copper! :wave:

Now a quote from my Dad about my panel..........

It would be called dangerous here. The fact that the breakers are mounted on a dry non conductive surface (Plywood) and they are elevated and in a dry location it is obviously considered safe by the code standards there.

He does not think that a whole new panel is warranted, but he does suggest that I build a cabinet around the panel, and regular like dust off the breakers and wires.

Well I'm off to a DIY store to see if I can find a panel and how much they want for it, I may not get this done by the 27th, but it still might get done (replacing the old panel with a new plastic one).

Cheers! :wave:

I am now the proud owner of a new electrical panel...........

new_panel1.jpg new_panel21.jpg new_panel3.jpg
I will have to swap out the 75 Amp breaker, for the 30 Amp one I have, should fit.

This panel even has one 200V breaker, which I need for the welder.

I paid about $115 US with shipping, it is new in the box, manufactured in Feb of 2007.

Cheers!

Hi Stu

I would like to ask you...

With this 200V that you have for the "ea-con" (air-conditioning), can you operate any European tools that are designed for 230V...

Regards
niki

Niki

I think the tools would just run a bit slower, my table saw is a DeWalt, and it is wired for 110V 60 Hz, but it runs fine on 100V 50 Hz :dunno:

My aircon is actually off the buildings main panel, not the sub-panel in the Dungeon, which is good, as it would use a lot of my available amps.

Cheers!

Thank you so much Stu

I was just wondering if one day I'll come back to Japan, can I take all the "Euro tools" that I bought here (mainly TS).

Regards
niki

Today, I was doing a delivery in an apartment building, 4 floors, older place, maybe 40 years old.

This panel is for the hallways and the signs and lights on the front of the building.

aparto_main_panel.JPG
The gray box has the main switch, the two white ceramic things are the fuses, or breakers.....

each apartment has a similar set up, but only 20 amps, this one is 30 amps

neat eh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: