Spatulas

Bill Arnold

Staff member
After I started my latest batch of chili, LOML showed me the broad, wooden spatula I've used for years - how it was splitting at the business end. She asked if I could sand it down or something . . .

Well, I dreamed up something as a replacement and then some. Even the old 12" spatula with the splits was sometimes a bit on the "not enough" side. So, I opted to start with making one 16" long. In addition, I went for a straighter version rather than the usual skinny handle with a wide working area.

Here is (are?) what I ended up making:

Spatula1a.JPG Spatula1b.JPG Spatula1c.JPG

I decided to make 16", 14" and 12" versions. All are 2.5" wide and taper from 3/8" thick to about 1/16" over the last 4" of the tool.

This is a good project for using off cuts in the shop. I used walnut, curly maple and cherry for these.

Since these will be in contact with food and cooking oils, I opted to coat them with mineral oil only.

No more sticking my hand down in a 22qt pot to break up the ground beef!

Interesting design Bill. I might have to give this design a try. I've done a few with the round handles but these would arguably register in the hand better.
I can't claim original design as I saw similar pieces online. I made these on my little CNC, but am sure they could be done with a bandsaw and a shooting jig for a plane. It takes about six minutes for each on my CNC.

Who would have thought that a better idea for a spatulator could happen? Wait till the guys at Spatula City see these.

I agree that breaking up the ground meat in a deep pot is a pain. Now if someone would just make these out of hard nylon....

Who would have thought that a better idea for a spatulator could happen? Wait till the guys at Spatula City see these.

I agree that breaking up the ground meat in a deep pot is a pain. Now if someone would just make these out of hard nylon....
they do, my wife's got one like this...https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-5253700-Masher-11-Inch-Black/dp/B08BPKJXXH/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=meat+masher&qid=1607608535&sr=8-7