Spots just won’t take color

rennie take a dental pic or a fork sharpened and scratch the flat area that is light like a cat claw would do to get some color in the voids i would say a wire brush but most of them are to wide,, you want a small width to scratch with

I'm OK with the way they are turning out. A little dye and a touch of stain and things are blending OK. Remembering that all the panels are 5 - 8' high, and that mantels are usually appreciated from a distance, I think we're good.

Thanks for the help!

rennie take a dental pic or a fork sharpened and scratch the flat area that is light like a cat claw would do to get some color in the voids i would say a wire brush but most of them are to wide,, you want a small width to scratch with

Yes, which is kind of what I meant with the exacto blade, create some pore lines to hold a little darker stain

Flat grain will not except stains. I've tried the all. I tell customers it's quarter sawn oak. I've had customers ask to to give a qso wood dresser a walnut tone. When they see it finished they've got pissed because the still see the qso. LoL only way to tone is with shooting color in the sealer as a glaze coat.