State of the art circa 1962

In 1962 my father purchased, for the sum of $336.46, a DeWalt Power Shop radial arm saw with accessories. The first thing he built was a Mahogany trestle table for my mother. The second thing he built was a huge desk for me. We couldn't get it in my room at the top of the stairs, so he had to cut off about 6" of the front of it so it would fit. After that I lost track of his projects. He died in 2015 and I inherited the saw.

Below are some pictures. He used each of the accessories. It must have been tiring tedious work having to change out tools on the saw. But, at the time it was the State of the Art in home woodworking.

Alan

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Dang, that may be one of the nicer collections of accessories I've seen. The saw looks to be in very nice shape as well. Very cool you've been able to keep it and continue using it, thanks for taking us along the little memory trip (y)

He put a lot of miles on that saw. It wasn't until 1990 or so that he built a dedicated shop and bought a table saw, band saw, etc...

Everything he built from 62' to 90' was with the DeWalt. I wish I had paid closer attention to how he set up and used the attachments. I remember watching him use the saber saw but not any of the others. And, he did use them.

In about 1995 or so I was up at his house helping him (I was watching while he worked) with a project he was finishing for one of my three sisters (I am the oldest and only male). He said, "I guess you wonder why I make things for the girls and not for you?" I replied, "Well, I've noticed, but haven't particularly wondered about it..." He said, "I make them furniture, and I give you tools.."

Pretty neat concept... We loaded a Ryobi 10" planer, a Rockwell bandsaw and some kind of monstrous drill press/milling machine in my truck before I headed home.

Now I have all his stuff and am preparing to distribute the duplicates to my three sons. #1 son already has the drill press. I haven't figured out how to dole out the rest of the stuff. Maybe draw straws.

The only thing I don't have of my dad's is the one thing that was probably the most valuable and the one thing which I will never have...
The wealth of knowledge that comes from 85 years of making sawdust. It can't be bought. Like I said, I wish I had paid closer attention...

But, #3 son and I are building a table for his home. He's doing the work and I am providing the technical and moral support. So, some of what my dad taught me and some of what I've learned on my own and from other sources, IS being passed on... And that's good.

Alan