State spindle sander

Richard Jayroe

I found an old state sander. Purchased for 10.00 dollars. How do you remove the spindle and where are parts available. Thanks

Attachments

• 007F6078-738D-465C-9208-88C2076CC0BA.jpeg
    007F6078-738D-465C-9208-88C2076CC0BA.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 30

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
Looks like an older B4 (round top, newer ones had a square top) if I'm not mistaken.

Parts and operational manuals here:

As for finding NEW parts, I reckon you're well into either measuring and getting comparative parts that are close enough (and fitting them if necessary) or making your own territory on this old fellow.

You can probably get some rubber drums that have a "close" bore size (they're available all over the place search for "spindle sander drums") or if you have a lathe they're not super hard to make out of wood with a custom cut rubber bushing on the top & bottom to hold the sleeves in place.

Looks like the power cord is in dire need of replacement, that's easy.

As for the rest of it.. depends on what if anything is broken. They were good solid machines back in the day so it's likely worth fixing up if it's not it to terrible of shape (doesn't look to bad from the one picture but hard to know what's on the inside until you tear into it).

Welcome to the family Richard! That looks like a nice restoration project! Please post the process, the motto here is "no pics didn't happen"