Steampunk sleigh

Phil ORourke

I've always enjoyed steampunk projects. Troy, NY had a steampunk festival a few years ago, the vehicles that people made were outrageous and a lot of fun. This is a CNC project that was made from plans provided by Vectric.
My biggest challenge was the paint job. My grandkids are Lego fans so I thought they would like some little riders in the sleigh.

Phil

Attachments

• Sleigh with Lego kids.jpg
    Sleigh with Lego kids.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Steampunk Sleigh A.jpg
    Steampunk Sleigh A.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 33
Very cool, kind of a hybrid gingerbread steampunk feel.

Any suggestions/thoughts on the paint job? Seems like it came out quite well so would definitely be interesting in any things you learned along the way.

Very cool, kind of a hybrid gingerbread steampunk feel.

Any suggestions/thoughts on the paint job? Seems like it came out quite well so would definitely be interesting in any things you learned along the way.
I used to be pretty bad at painting details, I'd get frustrated when I made mistakes. I was so afraid of ruining this that I set it aside for a year. My son in law is very good at this type of work. I watched him paint a project for me. He made mistakes too but he would wipe the errant paint away immediately and there is always some touchup to do. You need an array of small brushes.
Don't be afraid, painting mistakes can be fixed easily. This project was not mistake free.

Phil

There are also paint pens for small details like that
The local art store has been putting up some instagram videos of those. They do look really cool. They come in several sizes as well.

I have a few friends who paint miniatures (like under magnification miniatures) using brushes, I don't know how they do it hah, the results look kind of impossible.

Still very fun stuff!

They are a little finiky to use but they come in handy.

I have also used colored "sharpies"

I love this kind of stuff.

My sign - The Vault - is going to have a lot of painting to it.

I like Phil's Sleigh as well and hope to do that project as well, but Phil beat me to it.