Wow look what I had to pay for a piece of walnut today
9.80 a bf
Last trip last year I believe it was 7 something

i need a few bf for a project so figured I get one piece

Attachments

• 096921CF-43FD-4DEE-BA83-A850DF619A5A.jpeg
    096921CF-43FD-4DEE-BA83-A850DF619A5A.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 52
it never crossed my mind to ask, I had to drive over a bridge to get to the lumberyard, its friday, pandemic? unemployment? bumper to bumper almost on both sides of the roads today....ridiculous, I wanted to get in and out but with covid rules, only one customer in office at a time, so I had to wait, and then I just wanted to get out of there, elen was sitting outside in her car waiting on me, and I knew I had to cut down those 12 footers, just wanted to get going....then I got home, looked at the bill, wowser.
usually I ask
and I know if I bought 50 or 100 bf the price would have been less, but 9.80, thats the last time walnut goes into anything I make, unless I get to another state where I can cart some home.

I don't know any lumber yards on Long Island or closer boroughs that sell all species
Rosenzweig lumber in the Bronx offers decent prices on most and the only place that offers the most thicknesses on everything
I guess walnut is getting harder to get and shipping costs?

I've heard walnut prices are through the roof! I haven't been in a couple of months but the dealer where I go to get exotics and figured maple had walnut for 7.00 to 9.50 bd/ft depending on what it was. Here's a board for a project I dug out of a pile I milled about a year ago. It's at 12% right now. I'll take it in the shop and bring it on down over the next couple of weeks. I wet it with a little water to pop the grain.

Attachments

• walnut.jpg
    walnut.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 10
thats a beauty
the board i got had 2 knots
i moved 15 boards and i had enough physically im a disaster zone right now
all thier boards are 12 or more feet and moving them was too much for me
i need short pieces so it was ok

no more pickup so going out of state for ;umber while travelling isnt an option

For the first time since I moved back to NM, I went hardwood shopping recently for a piece of hard maple to make a cutting board for my sister. I was used to paying $7.00 and higher for maple 10 years ago in Los Angeles. (That's about what I was paying for walnut, too.) There's a hardwood store about 10 minutes from our house - Albuquerque Exotic Woods - that I've bought a couple of turning blanks from, but hadn't priced their board lumber. I was pleasantly surprised to see they were selling 4/4 S2S hard maple for $4.50/bf. :thumb:

I don't use a lot of dimensional lumber as I mostly do lathe work... I use what I do buy in glue ups for pepper mills and recently I've started doing some segmented bowls... still learning on that.... I have enough walnut in log form that if I need a piece, probably can mill it through the bandsaw and planer to fit what little I might need. My lumber supplier does carry some and they had a few table top slabs, about 3" thick by about 30-36 inch wide and 8-10 ft long... they all ran $300-$500 each.... I get a few piece of exotics mostly when I go there, but I try to stay away as long as I can... usually wind up spending about $200 - $300 every trip.

A friend game me several unused gun stock blanks, about 39"x 8"x 3", both black walnut and tiger maple. He used to work for a company here in SC that manufactured them, but they moved the factory to Portugal and threw it all out so he grabbed a bunch, about 40 pieces give or take. I got 4 (I think) of Walnut and 4 maple..
I'm still not sure exactly what i want to do with it all. I still have a rack full of white oak, some cypress and a nice stack of cherry a whole lot of eastern red cedar all planed and squared just waiting for me to decide what to build.
Part of my delay is I injured the old back and the shop is a living, loving mess ANNNNNND i got a chipped off tooth on my best blade.. I'm ordering new blades soon and maybe even cleaning the shop up.. (don't hold your breath on the cleaning up segment of the program.)

A friend game me several unused gun stock blanks, about 39"x 8"x 3", both black walnut and tiger maple. He used to work for a company here in SC that manufactured them, but they moved the factory to Portugal and threw it all out so he grabbed a bunch, about 40 pieces give or take. I got 4 (I think) of Walnut and 4 maple..
I'm still not sure exactly what i want to do with it all. I still have a rack full of white oak, some cypress and a nice stack of cherry a whole lot of eastern red cedar all planed and squared just waiting for me to decide what to build.
Part of my delay is I injured the old back and the shop is a living, loving mess ANNNNNND i got a chipped off tooth on my best blade.. I'm ordering new blades soon and maybe even cleaning the shop up.. (don't hold your breath on the cleaning up segment of the program.)

bad back and messy shop, something I can relate too. good luck, those blanks could be glued up for nice coffee tables, end tables,

cut them up into 3x3x8 to 12 inch blocks... perfect for pepper mills.

Back when I lived in NY, when I needed "special" wood I usually ended up buying from M L Condon Lumber in White Plains. They had some 46 different species available. I rarely actually went there, because they had a warehouse about 1/2 mile from where I lived and about 40 miles North of White Plains. I could call the White Plains office and place my order, then pick it up at this Northern warehouse that was near my home. They had trucks running back and forth several times a day, so they didn't even charge me for the delivery. It just ended up being added to the next truck that was headed North. A really good bunch of guys worked there, and they would see my name on the ticket and even call me to say it had arrived. I sometimes had my wood about 2 hours after calling it in.

Charley

Ive purchased wood from condon. its a bigger ride for me, prices are similar. rosenzweig will deliver any order for free for 500 or more purchase. most of what Ive built last few years invovled ply and specialty ply, so 500 bucks isnt hard to handle. I was told if my order is smaller, theyd stick it on a truck when they are in area., havent asked them yet, like I said, if I build something, 500 bucks is easy enough to reach as I like to add in some other species for future use.