Stolen Turning Tools!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Most woodturners have heard of Thompson Lathe Tools. My friend Doug Thompson makes some of the best turning tools on the market, and since he only sells direct with no middlemen, his prices are considerably lower than those of comparable tool brands. I know several of us here at Family Woodworking use and love his tools. Many "big name" pros also use his tools. Doug is a good guy who gives freely to the turning community, as well as other charitable organizations.

I just saw on Facebook that a former employee has ripped off $80,000 worth of new turning tools from Doug. From his description, it sounds like the guy stole some of pretty much everything Doug sells. Please keep an eye out for anyone selling new or "used" Thompson tools, especially if they have lots of them for sale. Some of the stolen tools have the Thompson brand name engraved on them, but some don't. His gouges, scrapers, and skews have a distinctive black finish, so they are fairly easy to spot. I'm doing what I can to help spread the word by posting here. If you're in a club, please help by letting everyone know to be on the lookout for the scumbag who did this. If you do see or hear something suspicious, contact Doug via his website (linked above) with as many details as you can provide. Thanks.

As an added note, I saw this morning that Doug suspects the thief will attempt to sell these tools as his own brand, not Thompson branded tools. So if you see a new tool company pop up on your radar, proceed with caution. ;)

I hope this doesn't hurt Doug too much. That's a chunk of inventory. Seeing it is turning tools, if they catch him, HANG HIM HIGH!!! WITH A ROUGH ROPE OR STEEL CABLE. Whatever's handy.