Storage Design Based on Scrap On Hand

glenn bradley

I ended up with some free, water damaged, plywood and composites a while back. I have scrounged a few projects out of them but, picking were getting slim. Some random pieces were enough to modify a storage cubby design I had. Being bored I went at it this morning.

I have standardized on about a half a dozen form factors for tackle boxes and storage bins. This particular latch top bin stacks great. Unfortunately the same shape that makes them stack nicely makes them nest together and if you want the middle one you have to un-stack; no sliding skills in these boxes at all.

Quick mod to an existing idea in SU.

Latchtop Bins Cobble (1).jpg

I have fired more brad nails in the last 30 days than in the previous 15 years. I just cut out the parts, dados, added glue and fired away. Don't be confused by the slats. This was not a design feature. It just used up some material I had on hand.

Latchtop Bins Cobble (2).jpg

It sets on top of a shelf unit in one of the sheds, is accessible from both sides and frees up a chunk of space I can use better.

Latchtop Bins Cobble (3).jpg

Almost time for lunch ;-)

Last edited:
Looks good, Glenn. :thumb: I need to do something similar. I have a lot of my loose odds and ends in storage bins too, and like you said, the item I'm looking for always seems to be in the bottom bin.

Ditto Vaughn's comments. I'm organized to the point of stacks of bins, but the stacking and re-stacking to get that bottom bin is getting tiresome.