Sturdy & Stable?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Working on a design for a client that wants a 40" coffee table with seats that store beneath. Will be used for games, etc.. This is based on a Stickley era design for a card table. Obviously, it is much shorter, hence the abbreviated back support.

I've just about pushed myself over the edge to buy a Festool Domino, this project is likely to be the straw... I can count at least 13 places on this ottoman where a domino would work well - times 4 ottomans....

Just tossing this out - does anyone see any possible issue with the sturdiness and stability of this?

Here's the inspiration piece.
w4257i-w.jpg

Here's my adaptation
Ottoman 1-21-b.jpgOttoman 1-21-a.jpg

I think, being a larger person, that the back two outer legs may not have enough cross support and allow for some twist if it were to be scooted around on some carpet or a rug. I think it's an appealing design though.

Edit: I may just be overthinking it too, they probably have as much support as a normal 4 legged chair, so don't put too much thought in to my comments.

I'm good with it. The four leg design should be fine. We tend to be surprised when scooting due to the unexpected leg positions but I think your layout will do fine. The center support structure on the inspiration table bothers me. My knees hurt just looking at it. Maybe additional corbels on the legs going from the inside leg surface toward the center?

The curved pieces would be difficult for me. I would likely need to create them by re-sawing thicker stock into thin layers and glue them back together in a curved form = considerable time and effort. Then saw and shape them to size. I can see half of my labor spent just making these pieces.
The angled tenons (Dominos in your design) would have been difficult for me too, before I got the FMT Pro. It's easy for me now.

What wood will you be using? Red or White oak? White oak would be my choice for this. Leather top and seats? = More extensive effort and time.

Charley

The curved pieces would be difficult for me. I would likely need to create them by re-sawing thicker stock into thin layers and glue them back together in a curved form = considerable time and effort. Then saw and shape them to size. I can see half of my labor spent just making these pieces.
The angled tenons (Dominos in your design) would have been difficult for me too, before I got the FMT Pro. It's easy for me now.

What wood will you be using? Red or White oak? White oak would be my choice for this. Leather top and seats? = More extensive effort and time.

Charley

Everything that follows is just FYI as the customer has realized that the scaling down of the card table inspiration piece to coffee table height would not make for comfortable seating at the table and figured all the banged knees would not be worth the effort. We're switching to a straight coffee table design.

My initial thoughts on the curve was to glue up a thick blank and bandsaw the curve - probably not the best solution. I might have entertained the bent laminate course...

Would have been QSWO.
Looking forward to how you will incorporate the Domino in your woodworking processes. I suppose there will a bit of a learning curve.
Alas, will have to wait for another project... But there are possibilities coming up soon! :thumb:

Thinking a bit out of the box…
Maybe, rather than scaling it down, you could have have made a square table, with triangular seats similar to those, and the table have four semicircular hinged vanes or aprons (I’m not sure if they are called this way) one of each side of the square, that would be lifted up to play, and folded down when not in use, that would allow the chairs to be tucked underneath as well. So the whole thing would be rather compact when not in use, but comfortable when in use.
So the table would be square with the chairs tucked under and round and bigger when in use.
That would solve the issue of knees bangingnornso I think. Although it would deviate a bit from the style.
Regarding the sturdiness I do not see any problem with the desing,