Sunsets

Mike Stafford

Seeing Ned Bulken's beautiful pictures inspired me to share a few of my own from my trip to Norway.

I recently was blessed with the opportunity to spend two weeks on M/S Gann during the Woodturning Cruise 2011 demonstrating for Hunter Tools. What a fabulous trip! I highly recommend this trip for its access to world class teachers and for the beauty of Norway which during two weeks of cruising up and down the fjords along its west coast I have learned to love.

Since most of our departures from the 12 ports where we stopped were around sunset I was able to get some incredible sunset pictures over the waters of the fjords and ocean that we were upon.

Here are a few.....

The last picture is of a moonrise over Sortland which is one of the ports where we stopped during our cruise. Sortland is known as the "blue city" of Norway because so many buildings are painted blue. I thought it quite poetic that this blue sky heralded the moon's rising as we left port.

Attachments

• Sunset 1.jpg
    Sunset 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 26
  • Moonrise.JPG
    Moonrise.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 25
  • Sunset 7.JPG
    Sunset 7.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Sunset 6.jpg
    Sunset 6.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Sunset 5.jpg
    Sunset 5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Sunset 4.jpg
    Sunset 4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Sunset 3.jpg
    Sunset 3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Sunset 2.jpg
    Sunset 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Demonstrator pics....

Here are some pictures of the professional demonstrators who were on board. Having spent two weeks with these people clearly illustrated to me the difference between a weekend amateur such as myself and true professionals.... With the exception of Rolly Munro, the other demonstrators worked in pairs so that they shared their demo time while in port.

In the order of presentation:

Asmund Vignes, a Norwegian turner who specializes in the hook tool and can really make it sing. A very funny guy also!
Bonnie Klein, a wonderful turner who chased down every child who came on board and made sure they left with one of her tops. She is an ambassador supreme for woodturning.
Glenn Lucas, an Irish turner who attacks wood with such ferocity it screams on the lathe. Glenn turns 3000 bowls annually.
Jimmy Clewes, one of the most friendly guys you could ever hope to meet as well as being a remarkably skilled turner and teacher.
Mark Baker, editor of Woodturning magazine in England and a highly skilled turner as well. Loads of fun to be around.
Nick Agar, another English turner who does decorative and creative turnings unlike anything I have seen. He is a real cut up both on and off the lathe.
Rolly Munro, a New Zealander who has his own line of tools and is one of the more creative turners I have ever met. He worked harder than anyone as he had to demonstrate the whole cruise without a break. And he did it with a smile on his face.
Terry Scott and Mike Hunter, Terry is another New Zealander who happens to be a friend. Terry is tirelessly creative and does amazing things both on and off the lathe. Mike Hunter is the owner and developer of Hunter Tools and to whom I am grateful for the opportunity to demo on the cruise.
Richard Raffan, Richard is one of the greats and watching him for two weeks confirmed just how great he is. The amount of stuff he produced was prodigious. That is me with him and I was indeed fortunate to be able to learn at his elbow.

All in all a very nice group of people willing to share their skills. it was truly a learning experience of lifetime for me.

Attachments

• P1000283 (Small) (2).JPG
    P1000283 (Small) (2).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Rolly Munro and flying curls.jpg
    Rolly Munro and flying curls.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Nick Agar.JPG
    Nick Agar.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 18
  • Mark Baker.JPG
    Mark Baker.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Jimmy Clewes.jpg
    Jimmy Clewes.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Glenn Lucas.JPG
    Glenn Lucas.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Bonnie Klein.jpg
    Bonnie Klein.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 18
  • Asmund Vignes.JPG
    Asmund Vignes.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Richard Raffan.JPG
    Richard Raffan.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 16
Beautiful photos, Mike! :thumb:

My favorite things to photograph are sunrises and sunsets.

Now, with you and Ned showing some of your photos, I guess I need to follow suit! :)

Great photos, Mike. I'm highly envious of your chance to go on that cruise. (I wonder if they need a janitor for the next one? I can push a broom.) :p

Mike,

Thanks for the photos. You sure rub shoulders with some very well known artists.

This is probably going to be a duplicate post. I seem to drag a finger on the wrong key occasionally when I go for the backspace key and my post goes to Lala Land.

Whether it is once or twice, Thanks.

Enjoy,

JimB