SWAP - Shop made tool or jig - poll added

Click "Yes" if you want to participate in this swap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WOW, those fiibbanotchies < :rofl: are cool, awesome work Tom & Brent...I had to look it up as I had never heard of them before now. And according to this I found while searching......"The Golden Ratio, the phi relationship, has long been used by craftsmen and professionals of many fields to understand and achieve beauty, balance and harmony in their work. Artists, architects, designers, engineers, musicians, photographers, sculptors, surgeons and stock analysts alike use this relationship to achieve excellence in their results." ...... possibly explains the shortcomings in my work, be it woodworking or my musical attempts or my.... Definitely on my add list! ;)

That is some gorgeous wood to go along with some mighty fine work Jim! :yes: Awesome start folks, looking forward to the rest :thumb:

From Darren

Look what showed up at my house today...:D
pics 001.jpg

Lets see what's inside...Hmmm, looks like I got some new light bulbs for my shop ;)
pics 004.jpg

Wait a minute...whats this...:dunno: it looks like I got a single carrier cigar holder, just what a good shop needs :thumb:{can you tell I'm back smoking again :bang: } and a nice note as well, was included...
pics 005.jpg

Hey, I wonder if it has a stogie inside, ready to go... Huh :huh: what in tarn-nation...
pics 010.jpg

Cool, it's sharp in more ways than one...:thumb:
pics 011.jpg

And has a sweet double bevel to boot...
pics 008.jpg

But alas, I shall wait on Darren's walk-thru to find out exactly what he calls it...mean while, I can think of a thousand uses it will be put to!!!

Thanks Darren, this is too cool & I luv the wood you chose :yes:, but afraid to guess out-loud and prove my in-experience. Looking forward to your build process! :wave:

Edit: Wow, this has a very nice snug fit, and tight tolerance in the cover as well, fits perfect flipped in either direction...Niiiiicely done:thumb:

Last edited:
You're Welcome Ken. I'll post a walk through on a new thread, but I got the idea at the link below, it's a marking knife for dovetails and what not. It uses a jigsaw blade for the knife blade, tiger maple for the handle and cap. There's a magnet embedded in the cap to help hold it on, though that one was a little snug anyway. I had planned for a more shapely piece but my sander gave out on me part way through, so things got simplified a bit.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/A Knife for Marking Dovetails.html

You know Darren, a marking knife is what first came to mind, though not thinking dovetails...now I guess I better get after trying my hand at them...thanks for the link also! As mentioned in the link, I also thought it resembled one of the small carving tools in a set I have...yet to use :eek:

The Mrs has been eyeballing it, talking about how she could cut the stitches in her sewing projects....so if something should happen to her, please delete this post...evidence you know :D

Sweet! I have tried to transition to using a marking knife more. It's a much more reliable line than a pencil.
:thumb:

Well boys, I have to tell you, Looks like I won the lottery again!

Went to the mail box and I got a box from Bob Gibson (2nd time He's drawn my name in a swap!).

I'd apologize to you for hogging all of his fine work, but I'm not going to, because I can't tell you how much I like what I got in this swap! :thumb:

The first thing I pulled out of the box was this fine looking push block made out of Ash. It's nice and hefty, with a fine finish, and is quite comfortable to hold. Just beautiful. So I say to myself "My, That Bob really outdid himself this time! Look at this!"
FWW-6067.jpg

But then I kept digging through the papers in the box and found this super fine looking push stick crafted out of Cherry. Nice limber and light, with a handle that fits into your hand like it was molded just for it.
FWW-6068.jpg

And I kept digging! And look! Another one made from what I assume is walnut! Now this one is special, because instead of a flat bottom, it has a V-Channel on the bottom. Just the ticket for those items that might be a little roundy or odd shaped and you need to get a better grip on them. :thumb:
FWW-6069.jpg

But could Bob stop there? Nope. Look what else got put into the box! A polished up cartridge pen with a curly maple top AND a rifle clip! Wow! :thumb: I'm going to have to hide this from my Dad when he comes out to visit for sure!

FWW-6073.jpg

And here is the whole set and the nice note Bob sent along with it.

FWW-6076.jpg

Bob, I can't thank you enough. The only problem I have with these items is that they are so nice and well made, I'm positively scared to use them for fear of nicking them up! But I promise I will, only I'll make sure it's on a nice project that deserves them and will make sure they are well cared for. :thumb:

Thanks again! And feel free to draw my name any time, but I'm sure the other guys are going to rig the drawing from now on!

Great creativity on your swap items from all so far:thumb::thumb::thumb: Swaps are so much fun to participate in nd more fun to see the creativity of everyone here. Awesome job all:)

I'm glad you like them Brent. The set I made for myself are made from plywood :rofl:

I'll have to ditto everyone's comments. These swaps are tons of fun. We sure have a great group of folks here. I love this place :thumb:

Man Ken, love that saw push stick and the details on it. I may have to put one of those together to compliment my shop art...:D

attachment.php

Kool vid Ken......and I didn't touch the mute:p. and here I thought you sent me a mallet, now I know you are helping my retirement fund with a piggy mallet, most likely more in there than in my IRA:rofl:

Kool vid Ken......and I didn't touch the mute:p. and here I thought you sent me a mallet, now I know you are helping my retirement fund with a piggy mallet, most likely more in there than in my IRA:rofl:

:rofl: I hear ya Tom, my mallet is filled with washers, fitting, as my retirement funds are pretty well washed up :bang:

The pennies & washer weights were an afterthought...don't know if either are appropriate, but I wasn't about to tap into my fishing sinkers...priorities right! :D
Also, I added the leather facing to only one end of the mallet...not sure what the S.O.P. are? :dunno:

& something to think about Tom...if the mallet ever blows up on Ya, its going to be like a new version of 52 card pick-up :rofl: