Sweet Bedroom Suite

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
As I am winding down on the mantel project I am gearing up on this bedroom suite. This will be a heavy sucker! 3/4" plywood interior carcass with an outer case of Jotoba. Two dressers, two nightstands and a king size platform bed. Thankfully these drawers are false front full overlay!

Got most of the interior casework done. I'll tackle the drawer dividers tomorrow. Then I have to figure out if I can get the Jotoba. Its a 2.5 hour ride each way to the supplier and he is only available on weekends - if he will be open at all.

These drawings are about 2 revisions old, but you can get the idea. I really need to start turning my textures. :rofl:

Bedroom Suite - Robert Engster - 1115 - c.jpg

Bedroom Suite - Robert Engster stainless 3.jpg

Bedroom Suite - Robert Engster stainless 2.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

so your wrapping these pieces with jatobaa and using 3/4 inch ply wood? what about the interior being a different wood than the outside?
I’ll be edge banding the ply with jotoba. I don’t think the ply will be very visible as I am using undermount slides and maxing out the size of the drawer boxes.

by 'outer case of Jatoba' do you mean a Jatoba veneer or solid wood?
Solid wood. Essentially, the dresser is a plywood box that slips into a larger jotoba box. This 'shadowbox' construction uses more material than traditional dust frame methods but it is simple, fast and, with the 1/32" deep dados, nearly foolproof. All the shelves and most dividers screw and glue together (#8 x 2") from the outside of the box and, once inserted into the jotoba box, will never be seen. There are no cross grain issues, like when using a dust frame. I'll use undermount slides and with this type of box there are no alignment issues. The slides simply mount into the bottom corners of each hole - straight, square, and level. And, of course, each drawer is completely isolated from the others keeping the interiors nearly dust free. One drawback, these things are going to be HEAVY!

don't quite understand...in time I probably will (slow I guess)
is there a reason of ' not veneer' ? is your back up to it ? ;)
where does the jatoba come from?

don't quite understand...in time I probably will (slow I guess)
is there a reason of ' not veneer' ? is your back up to it ? ;)
where does the jatoba come from?
Here's how the assembly breaks down. The outer case is primarily jotoba (brazilian cherry). The inner case is plywood and slides into the outer case flush to the back but 3/4" inch indented from the front of the outer case. This allows the drawer faces, which are 3/4" thick to overlay the edge band on the inner case and be flush to the front edge of the outer case. The 1/4" plywood back attaches to both the inner and outer cases keeping everything square and tight. A few screws in the bottom of the inner case anchors it to the outer case. The idea is to have a near piston fit between the two cases. Attached only at the bottom (plywood to plywood, the jotoba is free to move without fear of splitting. (note - the edge banding on the inner case is applied after it is inserted into the outer case so any small gaps between the two will be hidden. Last are the drawers.

At least, that's the plan! :LOL:
Exploded.jpg

Now one more point, I violated my own rule and began construction before having all the hardware in hand. Seems I made the case for the nightstands 1/4" too narrow for the slides. No big deal, I'll just tack on a strip to the back of the case, but it is extra work.
IMG_1439.JPG

Interesting design. Your commissions just keep on coming ;-) I use plywood inside traditional carcasses for structural purposes where I want to isolate from seasonal movement. I look forward to tagging along; still no shop for me.

The king size platform bed I built a number of years ago starts life as three sections to make it possible to handle it. Each section is a corebox of plywood. They are screwed to each other, then the "pretty" exterior wood is attached in pieces.

zConstr-01.JPG Bed-02.JPG Bed-05.JPG aBed-HB-01-cropped.JPG

Certainly I coordinated the deal but I did not take all of it for myself. 3 other buddies took some. I took about half in total. As for what all has been made:
P1010026-f.JPG 7357.jpeg
Those are the same headboard/footboard .. just swap out the side rails
image_4.jpg P1010805.JPG
when the changing table was no longer needed, replaced it with some additional storage. Glass top to make more 'kid safe'.
P1010912.JPG
IMG_20200224_080737106.jpg
Now working on the Treasure Box for the Grandson, which will have Jatoba as well. And, I still have a fair amount for the next project(s).