Sweet Bedroom Suite

Rennie, you are one fast worker bee. They look great. Two questions ... 1) aren't there two night stands? 2) the above nightstand on the right has only one drawer in the top slot. Your sketchup pic at the top of the post shows 2 drawers in this slot. On the fly design change?
Good eye. The nightstands in this pic are stacked to conserve real estate. There were two pull out trays in the initial design. The customer prefers one. The trays were considered a necessity as the night stands are only 10” deep.

I drove 150 miles each way yesterday to pick up a load of jotoba. A nice mix of long and wide boards.

B3925C48-A17D-48B2-B348-70ABBF5B8828.jpeg

D0DB9BFD-34A6-41B5-A75D-BC07042DEA99.jpeg

This is where the happy part of the story ends. My fault. I should have paid more attention to the wood as I got it out of the dark storage racks and Into the sunlight. Checking at the ends is expected, but severe and deep checking in the middle of 10 and 12 foot boards s not. Several of the boards have checking that is very deep and, at least in one case, goes all the way though. This is going to make my job a lot tougher.

I emailed the dealer to make him aware sending him pictures of the defects. I did not ask for any compensation, I wanted to see if he would step up and make an offer on his own. Up till now he has returned my emails within an hour or two. So far I have not heard from him since I sent the email yesterday evening.

Overall a somewhat disappointing experience - both in my own diligence and the dealer's response (so far).

2863F782-5A59-4CC7-97E4-24FEA02FF4F3.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpg

Ouch. Hopefully those are in areas you can work around. I learned the same lesson with exotics or species with high mineral content; you really need to look them over and have a good idea of what parts you want to get out of the board.

Heard back from the wood dealer. In part, he said, “Sorry for the disappointment. Imports often look clear, ... I hope you can use a little clear epoxy or something like that to fill any cracks you need to include in the project.”.

you mentioned flowing the grain on the dressers, but as i see the drawing you have a over hang on them so you have a natural breaking point. only way to flow across would be 45 degree mitered edges and that is not what your drawing shows.

you mentioned flowing the grain on the dressers, but as i see the drawing you have a over hang on them so you have a natural breaking point. only way to flow across would be 45 degree mitered edges and that is not what your drawing shows.
I've been playing with the corners and thought I might run a 5/8" deep dado at the end of the top that the sides would fit up into. With a 1/8" round over that corner would disappear and the grain would wrap. Miter is an option but on such large and heavy pieces I'm not sure I want to chance it. So, I'm rethinking the corders and may just do it as shown in the drawing since the end grain on this stuff is so hard and tight. Should finish well.

Rennie..thanks for the run down on your method of build. I gather that this is to allow the Jatoba to move, as it wants. Yes? I do know anything about this wood, does it move a lot? I like the built in drawer stops, too, as I had a dickens of a time getting drawers flush, with my recent project. ta