Swing Away Seat for My Workbench

Bill Satko

Years ago, when Benchcraft.com first created their Swing Away Seat, I picked one up but never installed it. This week I finally got around to it. I bought it without the seat so most of my time was spent making one.

I went to the storage unit and retrieved a chunk of a Douglas Fir timber from my stash of wood. Ripped three boards from it with my handsaw and hand planed them flat enough to run them through thickness planer. Glued them up to create a seat blank. Cut a rough circle with a scroll saw and fine tuned the circle with a block plane and spokeshave.

1640467020708.png
1640467049431.png
1640467078982.png
1640467101132.png

I then chamfered the edges with a spokeshave. All in all, the seat turned out really nice.

1640467158629.png
1640467176432.png

After finishing the seat with a mixture of BLO, Paint Thinner and Varnish, I secured it to the cast iron mount with the screws provided by Benchcrafted. They don’t supply the hardware for securing the bracket to your bench. I bought 1/2" black oxide square head lag bolts from Blacksmithbolts.com. The internet was all over the map as to what size pilot hole you should drill for a 1/2" lag bolt. 5/16” was the most common result. That didn’t make any sense to me as the minimum thread diameter is 3/8”. I went with 3/8” for a pilot hole and probably should have used 7/16”, as with a 1/2" socket wrench and a 6” extension, I was barely able to drive the two lag bolts all the way in. I drilled the holes with a hand brace.

1640467298463.png
1640467326708.png

And here is the finished project.

1640467374602.png

1640467400563.png

Nice to see your work area settling in with a few creature comforts. Nice looking too :). You're sure to enjoy having that so handy.
Thanks Glenn! With such a limited space, having a stool or chair just taking up space when not in use, is just not possible. I agonized over the height. They generally recommend a seat height of around 20 inches. I went with 21 inches after some trials with clamps securing everything.

I would prefer a higher, more stool like height but my workbench design prevents this. I still think it will work for chopping or carving items in a sitting position. Right away, I noticed it was real nice for looking at the window! ;)

Is there any way you could adapt a threaded rod to the seat support, thus allowing some vertical adjustment to the seat height? There are some out there that offer this type design but they are pricey.
I don't think there is enough cast iron directly under the seat to allow for this modification. And if there were, it would not solve the problem. It is more a problem of leg room under the apron of my English (or Nicholson) style bench. If it was a Roubo style bench, I could move it higher before my legs hit the bottom of the bench top.

It is a minor thing and when I need to be able to gain some height in order to push down with my weight for some chisel work, I can always stand up.