Tail of the Dragon Ride

Is this the Dragon between Tennessee and North Carolina, highway 129? Did you go up or down the Dragon's tail" From 129 in Maryville, Tennessee you're only about 40 minutes from my house and if you went up the Dragon into Robbinsville, NC, then you could have taken the Cherohala down the mountain into Tellico Plains and only been 6 miles from my place.
Looked like a nice ride, safe and sound, not like some of the crotch rockets I've seen coming down .... I've actually only gone up the Dragon from Maryville once (in my car) and haven't had any desire to do it again. I've been over the Cherohala a couple of times, but usually only go about half way up and then turn around... we stay pretty much on the Tennessee side. My son lives in Georgia just over the mountains, but we usually go up 68 and turn before we get to the Georgia line to run through NC and back into GA... closer to his house that way. Only about an hours drive.

Scott at the end was my room mate. Great guy and Mike who I was behind has been a friend since early Elementary school. This was a manorial ride for a friend who passed a few months ago from cancer and always wanted to do the ride but didn't get the chance. There are a lot more rides in the Tenn / NC area to be done.

Last edited:
Is this the Dragon between Tennessee and North Carolina, highway 129? Did you go up or down the Dragon's tail" From 129 in Maryville, Tennessee you're only about 40 minutes from my house and if you went up the Dragon into Robbinsville, NC, then you could have taken the Cherohala down the mountain into Tellico Plains and only been 6 miles from my place.
Looked like a nice ride, safe and sound, not like some of the crotch rockets I've seen coming down .... I've actually only gone up the Dragon from Maryville once (in my car) and haven't had any desire to do it again. I've been over the Cherohala a couple of times, but usually only go about half way up and then turn around... we stay pretty much on the Tennessee side. My son lives in Georgia just over the mountains, but we usually go up 68 and turn before we get to the Georgia line to run through NC and back into GA... closer to his house that way. Only about an hours drive.
Chuck wish I knew that. We road down. We stayed in Gattlinburg the night before and after the ride we rode to Maggie Valley and stayed from there a straight ride home 511 miles yesterday. Just a bit tired today. I did see the sign for Cherohala. I did a lot of reminiscing while down there. My Great Great grand Mother was from Cherokee. As a My grandfather moved back down there after he retired (carpenter) in the DC / Md area to Arden Creek and I spent a lot of time there in my late teens.
Next time we'll be doing the Triangle and I'll have to make a visit. Guys are talking next year this time.