Taming the distractions

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
It is amazing how long I've put up with the noise my drill press makes. I've had a few times over the years that I've draped a drop cloth or some welding gloves over the top to dampen the vibration sound the cover makes while working on a lot of drilling.

I finally had enough and ordered some dampening mat, usually used for cutting out road noise in cars.
2020-06-23 14.46.35.jpg

It really is the simple things that helps us keep our sanity. ;)

When I first saw the post I questioned noise of drill press. After the video I see what you mean. Never heard a press that noisy. I'd love it outside for use. Hope the damper pad works.
David

Thanks! I actually also added a few of the felt "stick-on" feet around the edge where the top half of the cover sits on the lower half and it quieted it down even more.

Kudos. I did the same thing to my delta with some self stick foam sheet. I surprise myself at how I adapt to something and allow it to continue when a few minutes of attention can make my shop time more pleasant. thanks for the inspiration.

I also use link belts on my DP and find this makes changing speeds quite easy. The cogs seem to lend themselves to grabbing the edge of the pulley and hopping to the next position semi-automatically. For those that think changing the speed on your DP is a big deal, this too was a small effort that gained me a big improvement.