Teeth fairy box

I made a similar box for my son but I did not have a happy tooth on the top of the lid. Back in those days a lost tooth was worth a quarter at my house.

Just a year or three ago my son's kids were here and they were going through stuff in my son's room. They found his tooth box with several dollars in quarters. You would have thought they discovered a gold mine. It was really funny.

OTOH I'm also interested in how Toni's box was made on the CNC... the inside finish is really fantastic.
Are you kidding me Ryan? The finish obviously wasn't made on the CNC, the whole thing was sanded, buffered and buffered again with carnauba wax. The inside was sanded with those dremel sanding brushes that have some sort of scotch-brite wool on them.

Are you kidding me Ryan? The finish obviously wasn't made on the CNC, the whole thing was sanded, buffered and buffered again with carnauba wax. The inside was sanded with those dremel sanding brushes that have some sort of scotch-brite wool on them.

Ok let me step back a second here and give a little context. My main/primary/only really experience with this type of box is on the lathe where getting those sharp inside corners properly done is tricky and mostly has to be done with cutting tools not abrasives. The problem I've run into with abrasives (at least past some surface finishing) in that case is that the variable grain density tends to leave "waves" in the wood at the hard/soft grain boundaries that are usually pretty visible. I wasn't seeing any evidence of that here so my assumption was that the initial cut quality had to have been quite decent for it to end up how it did.

I stand by my statement that you managed to get a really nice finish on the inside of the box :)

Thank for the explanation Ryan, at first I wasn’t sure wether you were joking or being ironical, specially looking at pics you posted which are amazing BTW.
Hence my comment. On the other hand, if I had to do it in lathe, I would have emptyed it with a forster bit, due to its small diameter. I understand what you mean; my turning experience is rather limited and as you mention, getting those sharp corners on the bottom even in a big one is likely to have a catch. I would not event get close to it, but as I said I’m no turner.
Question: that box on the pic was made entirely on a lathe?

On the other hand, if I had to do it in lathe, I would have emptyed it with a forster bit

Sure although that doesn't leave a perfectly flat bottom unless you use two bits and grind the point off of one.. and then you're limited to the set of bits you're willing to invest in having two of.

The box i posted is NOT mine, although I do know people making boxes and other work like that (it's one of those "given time and space..." kind of maybe someday projects).

My comment there was slightly tongue in cheek as it does sort of stretch the definition of lathe, but yes it was entirely done on a lathe by that definition. The type of turning is colloquially known as "ornamental" turning although the actual details vary a bit.

At the risk of enticing you into another deep rabbit hole of fascinating work... here are a few links (it is VERY different than regular turning and in many ways more like a CNC precursor)

The general type of lathe mostly used is a rose engine lathe (which is what would have made the patterns on the piece i posted a picture of), these range from amazing antiques like https://plumier.org/machines/holtzapffel-no-1636/ through a couple of rather pricey and fance new machines https://lindowmachineworks.com/lindow-rose-engine-menu/ and (more what I've seen) some folks making DIY machines like https://mdfre2.colvintools.com/

There are a few ornamental turnering societies