testing of new cribbage board centers

Dan Noren

Staff member
spent a bit of time yesterday recoding, and testing the centers for the cribbage boards. so far, both minnesota boards, the wisconsin board, the army, an navy boards have been done, with the maines, and airforce boards to be done. tested both the minnesotas, wisconsin, and army boards yesterday.

Attachments

• 001 test of minnesota star boarc.JPG
    001 test of minnesota star boarc.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 002 test of minnesota state seal board.JPG
    002 test of minnesota state seal board.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 003 test of wisconsin board.JPG
    003 test of wisconsin board.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 004 test of army board.JPG
    004 test of army board.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 22
Those look good Dan. Is your plan to laser first and mark a center datum point for your start point on the cnc or visa versa? or are you using a left/bottom datum and starting both machines with the same offsets?

left bottom on the cnc for the holes, and the profile cut, and center for the laser work. i'm planning on using a wood a little less hard than red oak (for drilling the holes), and lighter (for the laser work). i was surprised at how good the pouring milk, and cheese wedge came out for the wisconsin board. i was planning on that, but the cnc wouldn't do as good a job. can't wait until i get the 3d printer up and running...

Looks like you've got them going real well, Dan! The finished product should be just fine!!!

Speaking of your 3D printer, how's Darth doing?

Yeah, I've had issues with gluing prints together. I've had good success though with the loctite G02 glue. It takes a while to setup, but does a good job with PLA.

Totally unhappy with this print, but very happy with how the glue holds it together.

crappy print good glue.jpg

Still in parts. The ca glue would not set up for love nor money. ...

That's really strange! I just glued up some parts with the CA I have and it worked perfectly as always - sets up instantly when I hit it with activator.

Edit:
The CA glue I've been using was purchased from a woodturner in Texas around 2004 - yep, 15 years ago. I have no idea what the brand is and I believe the guy who was distributing it retired. Even after 15 years, it works perfectly because I've kept it in a refrigerator that is around 35-38F the entire time. I did have to buy a new bottle of activator a few years ago when the first one got used up. I use thin or medium viscosity CA, depending on the situation.

'Nother Edit:
Here's a combo package of glue and activator, if you're interested.

Last edited:
the loctite worked like a charm. lord vader is waiting for me to assemble the 3d printer, to make his platform.

Attachments

• 040 lord vader assembled.JPG
    040 lord vader assembled.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 17
got all of the extra boards (that didn't sell), and planed all of the engraving away. then sanded them smooth. it was on the first one, good thing it was an odd one, that i will have to do up a jig for finding the centers, as the placement of the circle was off, and that old stutter step is back. i'm thinking about replacing both stepper motors, as both are smooth shafts, with no flat to them.

Attachments

• 001 old boards planed.JPG
    001 old boards planed.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 002 sanded and ready for laser.JPG
    002 sanded and ready for laser.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 15
even more fun. went to do a test after yesterday's fix, still have problems. new motors and pulleys will be here on monday. one other thing cropped up. laser lasted as long as it took to set the center point, and stopped working. everything nice and tight, and i found that it will work in the on all the time mode, but not in ttl (only turns on when needed). is this thing snakebit, or what?

even more fun. went to do a test after yesterday's fix, still have problems. new motors and pulleys will be here on monday. one other thing cropped up. laser lasted as long as it took to set the center point, and stopped working. everything nice and tight, and i found that it will work in the on all the time mode, but not in ttl (only turns on when needed). is this thing snakebit, or what?

Are you sure you used the correct post processor?

considering that the laser fires up in the constant on setting, and doesn't work with the on demand setting, i may be having a problem with the switch on the board, or the board itself. i will be talking with jay about this in the morning. sneaky snake bites again!

You guys are not going to believe this, the laser is working again in the on demand mode. I was on the phone with Jay from jtech, checking some things, didn't change anything, and it started working, even when running a test. Just have to swap out the motors later on, and see what happens with the stutter step.

You guys are not going to believe this, the laser is working again in the on demand mode. I was on the phone with Jay from jtech, checking some things, didn't change anything, and it started working, even when running a test. Just have to swap out the motors later on, and see what happens with the stutter step.

An inordinate amount of my work days are spent on conference calls with medical facilities reporting software issues and software developers trying to troubleshoot the problem. Of course, quite often the problem goes away as soon as the developers get on the call. I hate when that happens, lol. :bang: