Thank You KETO

Ted Calver

Staff member
Back in April a trip to the doctor revealed marginal A1C and a prescription for a diabetes drug. General lack of energy, tired feeling and the frequent need to buy new pants in larger sizes finally drove me into action. I resolved to get rid of the mass of extra weight that was slowing me down and seriously affecting my well being, so I started the popular Keto diet. This diet focuses on putting your body in a state of ketosis, where instead of burning carbohydrates for energy, it burns fat. Healthy fats, protein and carbohydrates in a ratio of 75% fats, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates are the basics. I added intermittent fasting to the mix, taking in almost all of my daily calories (1400 calories is my goal) during the six hours from noon to 6pm. The result has been amazing. Went from 215lbs on April 12th to 183 lbs today....and still going strong. Lots of energy, feeling great, and had to go up into the attic for those smaller pant sizes. :thumb::thumb:

MM.jpg

Congratulations, Ted!!! :thumb:

I ran the numbers on one KETO page I found, but not buying the download - will check around a bit more. I"m at about 220 and would like to hit 190.

No need to buy much of anything, Bill. I only spent $3.50 on the MyMacros+ app for my Iphone. Helps me track my calories and amounts of fat, protein and carbs (they call those macros). I find it very helpful...even has a barcode scanner so you can get nutritional info from the package. If that doesn't work it you can enter it manually. Lets you set your goals for calories from each macro and tells how many accumulated and what's remaining. Lots of YouTube videos. Here are a couple of my favorites: (add the https in front to get the link)

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQQ2nwXIqzs
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxbsgvgXpM

Tricky part of this diet is getting your body to switch over from burning carbs to burning fat. I have previously done Atkins which is also relies on ketosis, but has a different approach to subsequent diet. I had a lot of trouble with cravings during the initial part of Atkins. Not so with Keto. I did a five day egg fast along with bulletproof coffee to get into ketosis...no cravings. The butter and Multi-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil in the bullet proof coffee act to trick the satiate part of your brain into thinking you are not hungry. It works for me.
Egg fast (add the https): ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxoIENMjxKE
Bulletproof coffee: ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXWR4wq9aHw

Other than

• MyMacros app
  • Bulletproof coffee
  • Egg fast

Any other tips on getting into the whole keto thing?

I'm starting tomorrow and am going for a pretty simple first week with mostly eggs, bacon, chicken, some beef and frozen veggies. Found a simple meal plan on Reddit. I think a lot of the folks that do this aren't as into cooking as I am, so I don't have a problem cooking the meals one at a time. I'm actually looking forward to a week without having to really think about what I'm going to eat.

I was going to use MyFitness Pal, but seems like unless you pay them a monthly subscription, the make it more difficult for keto, so will be checking out that app you posted.

Thanks!

Couple months ago I was 238 when I finishedup Turkey hunting season I started looking into getting fit. I was at the point where it was hard to pick anything up that fell on the floor. Today I'm in my 5th week at the gym (cross-fit) and down to 220. About an hour and half 5 days a week.
Ted hope to be 190 at least.

Any other tips on getting into the whole keto thing?....

The ultimate KETO Guide.

Facebook Keto groups:
Keto Diet Breakthrough,
Keto Recipies,
Keto Alterations/Low Carb Solutions

The most helpful thing is using the MyMacros+ app to enter the macros for what I eat each day. It's very satisfying to have goals and a clear way to stay on track. The carbs add up quickly.

Bulletproof coffee and it's variants help control hunger pangs, but beware that medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil often added to this mix can cause upset stomach and 'disaster pants' unless taken with other fatty foods (like the butter in the coffee). Best to start with just 1/2 teaspoon and see if you are sensitive, then work your way up. Also, some people have reported similar distress from using the alcohol sugar sweetener Erythritol. No affect on me, yet.

Most of my info comes from YouTube. Subscribing to these folks and perusing their videos has been very helpful. There are other Keto YouTubers, but I haven't seen the need to expand my viewing. Add the https:
KenDBarryMD,.....:://www.youtube.com/user/KenDBerry/videos
Keto Connect (Megha and Matt),....://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzRYivTpUQ0r2qPPjfLoQiA/videos
X Gains,(Primarily for egg fast),....://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqO7eXkMKtQNtiZzFf00IUw/videos
Headbanger's Kitchen (Sahil has great Indian oriented recipes),....://www.youtube.com/user/HeadbangersKitchen/videos
THP Keto Desserts,....://www.youtube.com/user/LymricalProductions/videos

PS Made it down into the 170's this week!:bliss:

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks for the tips Ted. I did order some MCT powder, so, will plan accordingly to avoid 'disasters', lol.

I don't usually have much of a sweet tooth and don't use sweeteners on a daily basis, so should be good there.

Well, Off on an adventure, I reckon!

I have a question about this kind of weight loss plan.

When you reach your weight loss goal whats the diet plan to maintain that weight.

How manageable is the maintenance after.

I lost about 20 pounds some time ago, by cutting my meals about in half. I've been hoping to get thinner, but I'm finding some of those pounds again, and am going to have to get serious about it. I was hungry all the time at first, but I was able to get back into my size 38 dockers.

I have a question about this kind of weight loss plan.

When you reach your weight loss goal whats the diet plan to maintain that weight.

How manageable is the maintenance after.

You still need to maintain the basic macro percentage goals, but you can gradually increase the total calorie load until you reach a plateau you are comfortable with. My macro's are based on a 1400 calorie per day load with 75% healthy fats, 20% protein and 5% carbs. When I reach my 175lb goal I'll add 600 calories to see if 2000 calories/day will keep me stable.

I may have to look into this... I'd like to drop about 20 lbs myself... I'm not overly heavy at about 192, but the first 50 years of my life I stayed right at 155... until I married and Dianne put 35 lbs on me in the first year of marriage... don't know if I would do well on a diet though, I like my Blue Bell at night.... I rarely ever eat lunch and breakfast is usually about mid-morning.... we eat pretty healthily and I've cut portions back some...

I started Tuesday. Had some issues last night where yesterday I ate too many almonds and ran out of carbs I could eat for the day, so had a bag of pork rinds for dinnner. This healthy eating is hard! :D

But seriously, I think I need to plan my days out a little more from the end of the day rather than just eating what I want and seeing what fits at the end of the day.

But I'm seeing some improvement already. Glucose levels down about 15 points, down about 4 pounds.

I've finding I really enjoy the Lacroix Lime sparkling water instead of my normal Beer. I might have to fill a keg with water and carbonate it. Just to get the full experience of opening the tap and pouring a nice glass of a carbonated beverage. In fact, now that I mention it, I think I will do that today.

If you try and get most of your carbs from leafy greens, like spinach, kale, collards, Swiss chard, brussel sprouts, sauerkraut, and kimchi, you innards will thank you.

Last edited:
I will have to switch over. Made some wilted spinach the other night that was pretty darn good. I just need to learn how to balance where everything is coming from.

Don't forget that ABT's are Keto friendly. Made the first batch of the season today. Wife claims I went too heavy on the bacon....is that even possible?? Second pictures are eye candy I saw pulling into my local gas station. Sweet looking rig. Would love to have a ride in one of those on a smooth sea.

IMG_4716.jpgIMG_4710.jpgIMG_4714.jpg

Last edited: