Thanks Kerry!

Ted Calver

Staff member
Inspired by Kerry Burton's Christmas gift exchange project (post 113 &117), I started out to make some New Years Eve noisemakers in time for the actual event. Procrastination prevailed and nothing got done until yesterday, which will make them perfect for the next NYE. Took a while to get the hang of it. They are not nearly as nice as Kerry's, but they are LOUD!!

Bits of purple heart, dog wood, cherry, maple, walnut and padouk...whatever the scrap drawer had. Had good luck using the drill press to do the ratchet mechanism. I actually bought the book Kerry referenced and that gave me a starting point. Ended up using dogwood for the ratchet, padouk for the sides and purple heart for the slappers on most of them. I'm still making them so I can send some to family.

IMG_1586.jpg,IMG_1570.jpgIMG_1573.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool! I have some young grand nieces and nephews who would have fun with these. (And what a great way to give their parents grief, lol.)

Those are awesome Ted! :headbang:

I like the innovations of using the drill press to form the gear teeth, and a separate "handle dowel" to make both the turning and the final assembly a little less nerve-wracking.

It's kinda cool being someone else's inspiration for once. :eek:

Ted, I couldn't help taking another gaze.

When you mentioned using scraps you weren't kidding - this time I noticed the use of an old yardstick for parts of the "junior" noisemaker in the first pic. Sure, why not? :thumb:

Makes me wonder what else one might find in that scrap drawer... :rolleyes:

Ted, I couldn't help taking another gaze. When you mentioned using scraps you weren't kidding - this time I noticed the use of an old yardstick for parts of the "junior" noisemaker in the first pic. Sure, why not? :thumb: Makes me wonder what else one might find in that scrap drawer... :rolleyes:

Eagle eyes Kerry. My grandson and I made his mom a cigar box guitar for a Christmas present and, since she works for Lowe's, used one of the Lowe's yardsticks for a finger board. The cut offs worked pretty good for this prototype matraca/grogger/rattle. The first ratchet piece was soft maple and the points snapped off. I took it apart and remade the ratchet in dogwood, which turned out just right.