the best plywood for paint

larry merlau

what is the best plywood for getting a tinted lacquer(white) finish on. not sure if the grain structure needs to be hidden but if it does that will enter in to the equation.

what is the best plywood for getting a tinted lacquer(white) finish on. not sure if the grain structure needs to be hidden but if it does that will enter in to the equation.
what are you building Larry ? when I was making A frames for signs I used a lot of MDO and with a gloss finish it is perfect. Sign companies like it because they can get the printed vinyl to adhere to it because it is so smooth when finished. If no structure strength is required then MDF would be my choice as it is a lot cheaper. IIRC a sheet of 1/2 MDO ran around $60 while a sheet of MDF is less than half the price.

I build a LARGE set of display cabinets for a Mega Fireworks warehouse once and used what was called Paint Grade Maple ply. It worked great once the sent me some good product. Problem I ran into was they had a bunch of bad ply it had gaps in the underling plys that would be from 2" up to 30" wide an when painted the top veneer would wrinkle and had to be cut out and bondo added and repainted. Went through 9 UNITS of the stuff. Needless to say I was NOT happy

Don, to answer your question its a long sewing cabinet.
Bill and Steve have you guys used waterbase lacquer on it?
If so how did it go any primer needed first?

Attachments

• sew cabinet rev1 w top extension.jpg
    sew cabinet rev1 w top extension.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4