The Best Type Of Christmas Gift

Paul Douglass

My wife and I received one of the best Christmas gifts this year that a parent can receive. Last Friday, my wife had invited our Nephew and his wife to have dinner with us. They came and told us their son may be coming later in the evening, he was coming to their house for Christmas and he would meet up with them at our house. We love to see him also. Along towards the end of dinner, my nephews phone rings and he said he had to answer it because it was his son. He got his phone and went outside to talk on it. He knows how well I get along with cell phones. A few minutes later he walks back in our front door with OUR son! Total surprise to us and the call was to have our nephew go open the fence gate so our son could get in. We had no idea our son was coming. He lives in Memphis and we have not been able to see him for over a year. Our nephew knew he was coming, and the invite to dinner just happen to be perfect timing... How great could that be for a Christmas Gift. He had to leave today, but we had about 4 great days with him... and they WERE great!.

Now here is another part of the story that we feel is just pretty amazing... My son is an avid bass fisherman... He was on Ebay before he came,looking to buy something for bass fishing that is difficult to find. He found them and ordered and it said they could be shipped or picked up in..... our home town... He could not figure out why it was directing him to our home town. Come to find out, this is a business that sales this about 5 miles from me, that we knew nothing about.... So, my son clicked on local pick up and we went and got very acquainted with the owner of this tackle shop while he was here.

So, no matter now, I have had a great Christmas.... my daughter that live 230 miles away is scheduled to come for a few day on the 28th her and grandson and son-in-law . When I think of Christmas,,,,, this is what I think of that makes it so awesome.

Last edited:
Great story, WE are going to be blessed with a visit from our son in a few days. He's the Navy Corpsmen. He has been stationed on the east coast and/or deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan for the past 18 years. He is headed to California to NAS Lemoore in California for his last duty station before retirement. So this will be the first time we've had him for the Holidays in 18 years.

Great story, glad for you. Sounds like a great Christmas celebration.

My son is a deputy sheriff over in Georgia and on duty today... I did get to talk to him, but not to see him. He and DIL will be over on New Years day for dinner.... Daughter is still in California and can't get back here this year... maybe next year. Dianne's son is here with us for the holidays, between jobs, so we did have some family.