The Mire Mansion

ya know, i complain alot (not on here) about how much i am working on the house and how i don't know if i will make my deadline and how stressful the whole thing is. but i gotta say last night when i was finishing up something, i kept stopping and looking at the granite counters on the island. if you have never shopped for granite then let me tell you, there are too many choices. luckily we kinda knew what we wanted, something in the family of creamy tanish color. not too much movement but not too solid colored.

after the first trip to the granite yard we picked out 3 kinds we liked. one of those was called giallo ornamental. well about 3 months go by and we are at the fabricator looking at samples of caesar stone, a quartz product. we wanted most of the kitchen to be quartz because we actually wanted those counters to be one solid color. well, my wife kept going back to new venitian gold for the island, one of the most popular colors. i kept straying away from it for that reason and kept rememebering that giallo color at the yard. well now that i work in Baton Rouge many things are easy access at lunch, including the granite yard, so i went and saw the giallo and thought this has to be it, so i got my wife to go by and check it out and she agreed.

i said all that to say, I LOVE the granite, it's perfect. it blends perfectly with the blue on the island, it blends perfect with the paint colors and also with the caesar stone. the new venitian gold looks great, we put it in our kids bath. but even the wife agrees, the giallo blows it away.

sure am glad i was persistent about that one, and didn't give up easy. that is one thing that has made this house difficult, trying to get exactly what we want, even if it takes more effort or if it isn't the easy way.

but it sure is nice to just stop and look and think, this is mine, and i love everything about it.

thanks for checkin in. i should have time to get exterior pics and more pics of the kitchen this weekend, when i get home from work it's dark now. (darn time change)

chris

Last edited:
well, permits are done as of today and i have the right to occupy the house. we will be moving in this weekend, so i will wait and get some good interior shots once things are settled. trust me it will look so much better.

i do have some exterior shots, mostly the front and garage side. it was very muddy that day and couldn't get around the house. it is just drying up now.

here ya go

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

and here is one of my wooden tub enclosure. don't worry it has about 6 coats of sealer on it. don't see this everyday, most people around here do tile or faux marble.

IMG_0039.JPG

thanks for looking
chris

Chris,

Looks beautiful and very strong. I will bet it can really handle the high winds.

I don't know about that tub though. I think I would aways get hung up on the faucet trying to crawl into it!:D

Exterior looks great Chris :thumb: Hurry up and move in, can't wait to the the finished inside :D. Congrats on finishing and being able to move in. Thats got to be a great feeling.

Tom

Chris, One beautiful place. :thumb:

Oh BTW, pay no mind to the guy from Hawaii. Their sense of humor gets a little twisted sometimes. (Lack of travel space I think.) :rofl::wave::rofl::dunno: Sorry Royall, da menehunes made me do it, LOL.:rolleyes:

Congratulations, Chris.

One thing that puzzles me... why did you put a hip roof on the MBR/Bath wing, when both the garage and the main house have a gable-end roof ? It looks a bit odd to me.

Have fun moving in!
...art

thanks everyone. i appreciate the nice comments. especially after working so hard on it.

royall, landscaping is definitely in the future. i have some friends who are really good at it that will be helping me out. the upstairs will get used. our office is up their and when my brother comes to town that's where his family will stay.

art, the reason is that section is called a "pigeonairre". used alot in older historical lousiana homes (and i'm sure other places as well) they were usually used for storage buildings. most of the time the owners would place pigeon holes in the brick for the pigeons to nest in. a friend built one onto a house he did and i really liked it. the walls are 16' plate height, while the rest of the house is 10'. a gable roof like the rest of the house wouldn't look right.

we moved in and had our first night there saturday night. it's kinda big, but i think i can get used to that.

i should be able to have some pics by the end of the week or first thing next week. still got boxes all over.

thanks again
chris

interior shots, finished....finally

finally here are some interior pics of the house. these are off the kitchen, dining, living, kids bath, stairs and fireplace. i have some more of the stairs and half bath bamboo cabinets as well but they will come in another post. sorry the pics are small because i emailed them from picasa.

dining room
DSC_2092.JPG

living room
DSC_2093.JPG

hall bath (kids)
DSC_2094.JPG

kitchen from dining
DSC_2101.JPG

kitchen from living
DSC_2102.JPG

kitchen from living
DSC_2103.JPG

kitchen
DSC_2104.JPG

kitchen from garage entry
DSC_2105.JPG

stairs - bamboo
DSC_2106.JPG

island
DSC_2107.JPG

more!!

and more

dining from kitchen
DSC_2108.JPG

living from kitchen
DSC_2109.JPG

some curly? walnut hiding in some of the 6/4 i resawed for the panels...lucky me
DSC_2113.JPG

a little closer
DSC_2114.JPG

and more in a door
DSC_2115.JPG

bamboo half bath cabinet, mirror frame and light box. all made from solid bamboo plywood. all grain runs in the same direction. still need to cut down and attach that side splash. so many little items, so little time
DSC_2116.JPG

closer
DSC_2117.JPG

bamboo stairs, end grain shows the 3-ply construction of the plywood.
DSC_2118.JPG

closer
DSC_2119.JPG

DSC_2120.JPG