The most difficult project

Brian Timmons

Do you all ever have a project that should be really easy, but turns out to be excruciatingly difficult? This was one of those projects. My mom passed away in July and because of Covid and health issues with family members we are finally having the service today. I made a simple box for my mom's ashes, but it was emotionally hard to complete. The original plan was to use walnut. I had all the pieces cut, but something wasn't quite right. This week I found a very interesting piece of pine at Lowe's. Mom was a farm girl from from Oklahoma and was never into fancy things. She liked light colored natural wood in her home. The wood I found was perfect to honor her.

Attachments

• 20210305_210950.jpg
    20210305_210950.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210305_231400.jpg
    20210305_231400.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210305_231411.jpg
    20210305_231411.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 44
Brian, so very sorry for your loss. The box/urn you created is wonderful. I was going to build my dad a box for his ashes, but they fit in the money box he carried for his gas station for the 20 plus years he owned it and the other 15 years he operated it for Mobil Oil Company. Again, so sorry for your loss of your mom's physical presence, but she will be with you as you continue your life.

Thank you and sorry for your loss. Covid has taken so much. That is great you could use his tools on your project. On the 10th it will be 30 years that my dad passed away. I wanted to use his tape measure for this, but with being in the middle of moving shops I couldn't find it.

So sorry about you mom. Beautiful work on something that will be with her forever. My mom has requested me to make hers and one of these days I will have to, and like for you it will be my most difficult project.

good work on that one, i think she knows, and approves. had that happen to me once. years ago, our friend's baby showed up very early, with multiple problems, and took one, or two breaths before she passed. he asked me, if i could help him out, and i said sure. then he asked if i could make a small casket for her. it was simple, yet elegant, with the walnut donated by the owner of a local cabinet shop. the only real decoration, were the brass screws, with raised washers, to secure the lid. i know what you mean about hard projects.

sorry for your loss, but she is looking down and smiling at your work and thoughtfulness you put into it..
to you Mr Tom, make it now when she is still kicking around. will be easier and you can get her approval ahead of time:)

Sincere condolences to you and your family, Brian. I've made a couple of urns over the years and know how reflective that process can be. From the way you described her, I suspect you mom would be very proud of the one you built.

That is an interesting piece of work, I'm sure your mum would have loved it.
When my dad passed a few years ago I was able to bring a portion of his ashes back to Tokyo with me, I turned an urn for them and they now reside with me in my workshop.

I'm very sorry to hear of your mum's passing.